Chapter Fifteen ~ Queen of Faery

Time passed slowly in Elfhame

There was no rising of the sun or moon to mark the start and end of each day.

It was an eternal twilight.

Enid spent her days perched on a ledge, looking out of the barred window to watch royal servants going about their daily tasks - some more important than others, but all with their jobs to fulfil.

She was not sure how long it had been since she had last seen Aneurin but her heart yearned for him.

What made matters worse was that she could not go to the Fae ring and call for him, just like she had done in the past.

Now, she was stuck in this prison cell, with only Joan and a few unruly Fae prisoners for company.

The door to the cells opened in the far end of the tunnel, footsteps sounding on the cobblestones.

He appeared like the sun after a storm. His silver hair shone brightly in the torchlight, loose around his shoulders. He wore golden armour, similar to that of the Fae guards that patrolled the village.

Enid frowned and slowly lifted herself up off the ground.

Was she dreaming again?

"Aneurin?"

He remained where he was, unmoving, his eyes hard and face unreadable.

Something was troubling him. Enid could see it in his eyes, but he did not speak. He did not tell her of what was going through his beautiful mind and so Enid was left to wonder.

"My mother wishes to see you." He unlocked the cell and gestured for her to follow him.

He led her to the throne room, where once again, the Queen was waiting, sat high on her throne.

"Ah, there you are. And you brought the prisoner with you I see-" She peered around Aneurin to stare down at Enid. "-Come here, girl."

Her voice was cold and impatient, her eyes following Enid as she hastily stepped out from behind Aneurin and made for the Queen.

Only when Enid was stood before her did she beckon Aneurin forward as well.

He came to stand beside her throne, his hand resting on top of it.

"What do you think of her, Aneurin? Can we trust her, or should we have her executed? It will mean one less human to kill later on."

Enid held her breath.

Aneurin's eyes fell upon Enid as he pretended to think about his mother's question.

Enid was unsure if he knew the effect he had on her - just a simple glance in her direction and her heart quickened in her chest.

Aneurin strolled towards Enid, his hands remaining behind his back, as he began to circle her until he came to a stop before her, his eyes boring into hers.

"I think we can trust her."

For a brief moment, Enid thought she saw the ghost of a smile play on his lips before he turned and went back to stand beside his mother.

"Really? And if she betrays us?"

"She won't, I assure you." Aneurin replied, almost a little too quickly.

The Queen's eyebrows raised as she glanced at Aneurin, though she made no move to ask him how he was so sure.

Seeming to have realised his mistake, he fell silent.

The Queen rose from her throne and descended the marble steps to stand before Enid.

"If I send you back, you are to live your life as you once did. You will tell no one what you saw here or what happened to you. You will not speak a word to anyone about Elfhame. Is that understood?"

Enid nodded her head.

"Good.-" She smiled shortly. "-As a spy working for me, you will gather information on the village weaponry and what we can do to bring about peace."

"And, if the villagers should not wish to have peace?" Enid asked.

"Then I will have you executed for failing in your task. Make no mistake when I say that I will have eyes on you at all times, there will not be a single moment for you to betray me."

Enid swallowed hard but tried to keep her fear under control.

She would not have the Queen know she was afraid of her.

"Aneurin, take her back to her cell."

Her heart sank as she heard those words. Part of her had grown excited at the thought of being able to see her mother again.

Taking long strides, Aneurin beckoned for Enid to follow him.

Once they were out of the throne room and in the safety of an empty corridor, Enid began to question him.

"Why have you not come to see me?" Enid spoke up, her voice echoing off of the stone walls.

"I could not."

"Why not?"

He glanced over his shoulder at her, sending her a warning look.

"Why?" She asked again, her heart racing. She knew he did not like to be pushed when he refused to answer a question.

"It was too risky-" Aneurin began, but Enid cut him off.

"Too risky, so while I was in my damp, cold cell you chose not to visit me because it might be too risky? I have spent days yearning to see you, hoping it would be your footsteps outside my cell door-" He gritted his jaw, picking up his pace, but he did not speak. "-And then, when it finally is you, I am not even treated to so much as a hello before you order me to the throne room. Where your mother threatened to kill me and you stood by and did nothing!"

"Enough!" His voice boomed through the tunnel they were in.

Enid flinched and froze.

"Enough-" Aneurin said again, his voice soft. "-I wanted to see you. Do you know just how hard it was not to? But I could not. If I was seen to favour you, I would have no say in what happened to you. My mother would assume I was biased in my opinions."

He slowly inched forwards, his hand rising to cup her cheek.

"I'm sorry. I just missed seeing you." She leaned into his touch.

He pressed his forehead against hers and sighed.

"I know. I missed you too. But right now we need to make sure you stay safe, and the only way we are going to do that is to get you out of here."

Enid frowned and slowly shook her head.

"What?"

"I'm not taking you back to your cell, I'm taking you home."