twenty two

kenzie's pov

"you know, i hate when people talk shit about someone to impress someone else." johnny starts, spooning a bite of fried rice into his mouth. we're having lunch together, just the two of us, at my favorite restaurant.

"have you never done it before?" i ask, surprised.

"i probably have. in middle school, we were all assholes." johnny admits. "but i don't think it's okay."

"agreed. like, if you want to fit in, try something else. its just..." i pause for the right words. "not right." i finish, biting into my sushi and finishing it off. i smile to myself slightly, johnny and i can have the most easy conversations or talk about real stuff. and i need someone like that.

minutes later, johnny is done too, and we call for the check and proceed to head to his car. johnny's fingers brush against mine repeatedly as we walk. he doesn't seem to notice, but my heart is pounding from it. we approach the car and split, john heading to the driver seat and me going towards the passenger. i open the door and sit, closing the door behind me and smiling at johnny. he blushes and smiles back.

"what?" i ask with a giggle, referring to his awkwardness. clearly something is weighing down on him.

"nothing, i just..." john starts, facing me, then stopping himself. "you're just really pretty."

"that's all?" i ask, my heart melting from the pureness. he nods. "you're adorable." i respond, placing my hand on his cheek and leaning over the cup holder to kiss him. he kisses me back with a smile and knots his hands around my neck, pulling me as close as the car seats allowed. after a few minutes he pulls away with a soft smile.

"to your house?" he questions.

"yes please." i respond, buckling my seatbelt. johnny starts the car and we drive to my house. within minutes, we're there.

with a smile, i invite johnny inside, although it wasn't part of the plan. i just don't want our day together to end yet, so thankfully he accepts and enters the house with me.

after deciding to play a game of battleship together, we head up to my room and nestle ourselves within the comfort of my warm blanket and pillows. we set the game up, and in a short amount of time johnny is already winning, shocker. not.

"ha, i just sunk your ship!" johnny crows, laughing as i pull a blanket over my head and groan.

"i'll sink one of yours, sometime soon." i reason.

"before the game ends or after?" he laughs, leading me to flip him off. god, he's a piece of work, but his laugh is absolutely adorable.

"b4." i say, picking up a white pin, already knowing i've missed. worth it.

"i was gonna use that pun, damn you." johnny whines, picking up a red pin. "and hit."

"wait, seriously?" i squeal, pressing the red pin down onto b4. i stick my tongue out at johnny, only for him to stick his tongue back out at me, causing us to dissolve into laughter. we're so immature, it's hilarious. and not every couple can be like that with one another. i really lucked out.

"i'm bored of this game." john complains suddenly.

"you're only saying that so i won't win."

"yeah." johnny admits with a smile. i cave in and move the game to the side, resting my head facedown on his lap.

"you suck." i say, rolling over to look up at him.

"you love me." he counters, brushing a strand of hair out of my face and gazing into my eyes with a small smile. i don't answer, i only intertwine our fingers and smile when he leans down to kiss my forehead.

i do love you, i want to say. but the words won't leave my mouth.

right now, i want to hold onto this feeling. being in love. because i know he feels it, too, and i don't want to ruin that. i could never ruin it. i just want to hold on to it, hold on to him, and the way we can be a new couple.

right now, this feeling is mine and mine only. the warmth that courses through my veins when he smiles. the way my heart pounds when he kisses me. the way i can't stop blushing when someone asks me about him.

right now, i just want to silently love him. because i know he's not going anywhere. there's no rush. we can take our time, hit every small landmark when we feel it's right.

so that is why, johnny orlando, i love you.

this was short, sorry. i just haven't been feeling writing lately, with school and all i only end up writing on weekends.
and so... it's over? um, i'm really sad. but the epilogue is coming soon and it's a really cute chapter so stay tuned for that! <3
—ria :(((