Chapter 27

Savannah James

Savannah James

I'd managed to somehow reduce the time I wanted to spend with Josh today, notably most of it being made up of when he braided my hair with Riley.

For the remainder of the day, I'd kept myself holed up in my room and working on the report Lionel had sent me in an attempt to keep busy. I'd escaped out of my safe haven only to help with making lunch for Riley and then to spend a portion of my time eating ordered pizza by
Josh.

At this moment, Josh was helping tuck Riley into bed and was reading her a story. It wasn't too late in the night quite yet but Josh had spent all day here, and I didn't want to have to see it as a regularity. It would hurt me too much to imagine.

I was sat out on the couch, having poured myself a glass of red wine over dinner and yet I'd somehow managed to make it through over half the bottle in a time when a glass should have been plenty sufficient.

Another shiver ran through my body when I was reminded of the way Josh's hands had ran through my hair earlier today. It was as if every memory of our old touches in bed were ignited with just his fingers against my scalp alone.

"—goodnight Riley, I'll see you soon."

Josh whispered through the opening of Riley's door before closing it lightly and tip-toeing his way into the kitchen to grab his jacket.

"You don't have to leave," alcohol was leaving my lips quicker than my realistic mind was managing to, "you want to stay for a drink?"

He pondered the idea for a second before an indication of his agreement was posed with his jacket dropping back down onto the bar stool seat. "I think I've been needing it."

"She can be a little bit of a handful sometimes."

"It's not her," he sat himself down on the couch as I reached over to the glass cabinet behind me and pulled out another wine glass, "she's truly amazing, I still can't believe she's our daughter."

My heart swelled at his wording. I'd never had the need to share Riley before, she was always mine, I'd always refer to her as my daughter.

But now she was ours.

I poured him a glass of wine as a distraction for myself before reaching over and handing it to him, thankful for the distance that he created between us. "I think we probably need to address the elephant in the room." I spoke as I began tracing the rim of my drink, "regarding your fiancé, Josh. Have you even told her yet?"

He stretched his neck back to reach the head of the couch before turning back to me and taking a large gulp of his wine. He lifted a knee to rest under his other leg as I crouched my legs up to face him. This meant a serious conversation, and I couldn't be sure if I liked it or not.