Chapter 20 Part 1

I was sick... in more ways than one. Sorry for making you wait:)

Hello to @tonitoni11 and @jahzellatonio !

I swear the readers of this story are just too precious! Here's the next chapter!

Chapter 20 Part 1

Acquaintances

"How about you? What's your story?"

When she suddenly turned the conversation around on me, I realized my mistake.

My mind was a blank mess. I knew nothing about my own story. My own life. What was I supposed to tell her?

Lily waited with shimmering eyes, "Well?"

I had to think quick. Something. I wasn't given to lying but at the same time, what was I going to say then? I thought of the few bits of good memories in high school and college and thought to go with that. But if she started asking questions I was likely to not have any answers at all and I'd just lead myself into another dead end.

The silence went awkward as I struggled to answer and Lily leaned back in her chair, smiling at me with a bit of hurt in her eyes.

"It's okay if you're uncomfortable telling me about yourself."

Guilt was an immediate emotion, "It's not that. I just—" don't have anything to say.

I stopped, carefully choosing words in my head. It's almost too easy to forget I had amnesia when I was with Lily. Why did I agree to share stories in the first place?

When I saw how she quelled the disappointment and embarrassment, I opened my mouth to say anything just not to hurt her feelings. But someone else beat me to it

"Scarlett, is that you?"

The both of us turned to the sound of a woman's voice.

Standing a few feet from us are three women I didn't recognize. In variations of stylish clothing... stylish clothing that hid little to none of their bodies. 

The first one was a tall redhead in a glitzy crop-top and ripped short shorts. Her red hair was artfully pied up on her head to show-off an elegant neckline. She was beautiful. But I think it would've done her better without the heavy makeup this early in the day.

"It is you! How are you?" she exclaimed.

What were the odds of meeting people I knew before the amnesia?

As they approached our table, my heartrate picked up. Did I know them? They obviously seemed to know me. It was a quick decision on my part to act calm and pretend I remembered them.

The tiny blonde in the middle with an even tinier dress raised an eyebrow and cocked her head to the side. "It's been what? A month or so? Clubbing is totally different without you!"

"You mean without her husband's credit card—hey!" the last was a black woman with corkscrew curls, tube top and leather mini skirt. She earned an elbow to the ribs from the redhead along with a glare.

These people somehow reminded me of the contents of my suitcase that day in the hospital. Strangers.

The redhead then turned back to me and said brightly, "So what brings you here? Are you alone?"

I turned to Lily who sat there wide-eyed at the sudden appearance of the three. Those women turned to my friend too. And they seemed unimpressed.

The black woman frowned, "And who is this? I'm pretty sure we've never met you."