14 ❀ Cool your jets

Klepto POV

     Klepto POV

     He's here, and all I can feel is calm wash over me. How can someone so cruel have that effect on me? Why is the Moon Goddess so cruel?

Stupid, stupid mate bond!

     I peer down at Ezra through the last bit of dead foliage hanging onto the tree branches around me. What used to be bright tangerine and deep wine colored leaves are now shriveled up shells of their former selves. much like myself.

     Ezra's tall enough that his head almost brushes the lowest branch of the oak tree I've found my refuge in. A glare adorns his face, as it usual does when he's around me. His buttery gaze examines my skin from head to toe, assessing every inch of me.

     I know that Doctor Poland told me to relax and give myself some time to heal, but I can't stand to be around my mother right now. Her satisfied expressions and her snarky attitude drive me insane. I need somewhere to think, and I long for a story to cheer me up, or, at the very least, distract me from my ever present broken heart.

     And yet he's found me here, so my luck is definitely running on fumes.

     "What are you doing up there?" Ezra's gravely question catches me off guard, and my answer is lifting my new novel for him to see. It doesn't seem to satisfy him.

     "I was told that you were hurt. What are your injuries?" It's more of a demand than anything else.

     So, Reid did tell him after all. I can only imagine what's going through Ezra's stupid head. He only came here to gloat, I bet.

     He knew he had been right all along. I'm weak.

     "Broken nose. Some broken ribs. No big deal." I blow it off, but it only seems to infuriate him even more.

     "No big deal? No big deal?" A fire kindles in his irises, dark reddish brown eyebrows drawing together in a sharp pinch that has his face looking harsh and mean.

     What I wouldn't give to kiss that expression away.

     No! No, I will not bend to my damn mate instincts. I am above them. He threw me away, so I am done with him. I can do this.

     "You shouldn't care one way or another. We're not mates. Remember?" I say the words softly, so much hate woven into my voice. I watch as he flinches, though I can't for the life of me figure out why. This was his choice, his doing.

     Ezra shakes his head in irritation, setting his jaw like a vise. He grabs a branch and begins pulling himself up into the limbs of my tree. I try to scamper back, alarmed at his intrusion.

     I came out here for some peace and quiet, and this is what I get! More drama. Thanks, Moon Goddess. You're doing a great job at making me miserable.