[60] The Plan

.

.

  Avery Holmes

.

.

  July 6th unfortunately came quicker than we all would have liked.

  By now, everyone was filled in on what was going on and fully aware of the situation. Some took it well, like Zayn and Louis, who were determined that the end result would be that Kate and Jake would go to jail, but others, like Harry, were plain terrified.

  "I need to get somewhere with better service." Sam said. "If I can't make this call and get backup, we're done for. How many bars do you guys have?"

  The most that anyone had was Harry, with a whopping two bars. The regular Motel 6 would have had a pool and free wifi, but since this one was so unpopular it wasn't equipped with any luxuries other than a crane machine and a table of stale food.

  Sam pushed some buttons on Harry's phone and then left to the bathroom to make a phone call. We had spent most of the day in Niall and I's bedroom since we were given the biggest room in the motel.

  "What's happening?" Aimee asked.

  "Nothing." Louis quickly assured her. "I think we're all going to have a sleepover in here, though. Doesn't that sound fun?"

  "No." She frowned.

  "And why not?" He chuckled, petting her hair.

  "Because everyone is sad." Aimee pointed out. Even though she was three, she sure seemed to pick up on a lot.

  "You don't need to worry about anything." Louis reassured her. "Just let the grown ups worry about this. Here, you and I can watch some Netflix, okay?"

  "I pick the show." She said. "Scooby Doo?"

  "Yeah, that sounds good." He said, turning on his phone and opening the Netflix app. I didn't realize that I completely stopped listening to everyone discussing what to do and that I was zoning out listening to their conversation.

  "What if the backup can't get here in time?" Liam asked. "We should have a plan B, maybe even C. This has to all go over well."

  "Stop making me so nervous." Harry said, exhaling loudly while wiping his sweaty palms on his jeans. Zayn patted his back and said something to him that I couldn't hear. Niall had his arm securely around my waist and I could feel it shaking.

  "I can't stay here." Niall finally spoke up. "I'm supposed to die tomorrow and if I stay here I'll go mad. I need to get out of here now." You could hear the nervousness in his voice.

  "He's right." Sam spoke up, entering the room again with his phone in hand. "We know that Jake and Kate only want to take away what makes Avery happy and that's Niall's life. They said if we leave, they'll follow, but what if we make it look like it's just me that leaves?"

  "I'm not following." Liam said.

  "I'm saying, what if I make it look like I'm... taking laundry to a laundromat. Or like I'm going to throw some garbage away at the dump. I just need to get Niall safely in the car without them thinking he's in there and get him somewhere safe."

  "Wait," Niall said. "Just me?"

  "Of course." Sam said. "You are the one who's life is in danger. Or maybe." His eyes lit up with another idea. "We can make it obvious that I'm driving away with Niall, only it won't be him. We can use someone else as bait- make them wear a hoodie of Niall's and dress like him. Then, they'll follow us and you all can sneak out when they're gone."