Chapter 39

That night, I did not answer Yuwen Rui, nor did Yuwen Rui insist on asking for an answer. He just quietly held me in bed as he sat there the entire night, just like those nights in our childhood, clinging to one another yet absolutely silent.

Turns out time is like water, we have already been together for so many days and nights.

These few days, I sure have been quietly lying in bed to recuperate, not for any other reason, only because that night's 'treasure steal' action seems to have been overly vigorous, the wound on my arm had opened up again and started to slightly suppurate (form pus), startling Xi Xi into giving me another earful. I obediently listen to her lecturing, feeling that I really should listen to it well.

Alright, I admit, I have yet to prepare myself to face Father Emperor, even if he is still unconscious.

It's not that I haven't seen the rottenness within the palace, for example the illicit affairs between consorts and imperial guards, the immoral relationships between palace maids and eunuchs, the flirty eye contacts between minister madams and powerful officials. I originally thought I have already grown unfazed by these matters, just that in this very moment, I finally know that I am still surprised and cannot understand this type of love that goes beyond ethics.

This man is my Father Emperor, the one who gave me a life together with my mother.

I furrow my brows and start to imagine these feelings of his, this man gave his most intense love to his own sister, and hid it deep within his heart. I am not all showing disdain towards these feelings, I just find it strange, why do the strange heavens always love to create some torturous love and deep-rooted feelings, causing people to be stuck in a life of struggles.

Throughout the ages, loves is never wrong, what's wrong is timing, is identities, is that you love someone who you should not love.

I scoff, look at the excuse the great mankind gives for love, 'a beautiful yet regretful mistake'. But the only reason why mankind gives such a beautiful excuse for love, is because when faced with splendid and attractive captivation, they greedily cling to the ultimate joy, and the short moment that is like dazzling fireworks, they indulge and forget themselves.

I suddenly laugh out loud, carrying satire. I never look to great love or moths darting into the flame (seeking one's own destruction), what I want is to just love myself.

In the end, I am such a selfish woman.

These days in the palace has also been in particularly boring, after going through such a trial test of strength, each kingdom requires time to deal with the aftermaths. I heard Yun Ze is currently in huge chaos, one that is like raging fire, I think that a lot of this is credited to Yuwen Rui's doings. I think to myself, Yuwen Rui is in a way considered Yun Ze's benefactor, at least it wouldn't take long for Yun Ze to end that kind of chaotic situation, starting a journey from anew, be it for good or bad.

I think of that stunning man that I have called 'Seventh Brother' for many years, he has now already returned to his own kingdom and taken on the responsibilities he should have. I wonder how he will do? Busy amongst the complex struggles, in those moments of rest, his mind would suddenly flash with our past, and then continue to be busy?

I believe that man with a careless look on the surface but hides heavy responsibilities in his heart, will step by step, walk along the path that belongs to him.

Speaking of Yun Ze, then there is definitely one person that cannot be forgotten, en, that person is precisely Evil Spy Meng, as in Meng Shao Jue. After the passing of that night, the Meng family had disappeared from Yun Mi without a trace, Meng Estate quiet as though no one has ever lived there, no signs of life.