46. suspicions

"Can you please pass me another napkin...Avery? Avery!"

I snapped out of my thoughts, my eyes instantly flicking over to Monty who was staring at me in anticipation. "What?" I asked, dropping my hand from where I had had my chin resting.

Monty took another bite of the cake he was eating before speaking, "I asked if you could pass me another napkin."

"Oh," I muttered, reaching beside me to grab one, "Here, sorry."

Monty smiled as took the napkin before taking yet another bite of cake.

"Why aren't you eating any dessert?" Jasper asked through a mouthful of pie, "It's to die for. You have to try it." he encouraged, shoving a forkful in my direction.

I shook my head, "I'm not hungry, thanks though."

Truthfully, I had barely eaten anything all day but there was an anxious knot in the pit of my stomach that was preventing me from even thinking about food. All I could think about was my brother and friends. Where were they? Were they okay? Were they even alive?

I was pulled from my thoughts again when Jasper and Monty both stood, each of their chairs screeching across the floor as they did so. They were joking around like usual, trying to steal each others food.

I looked around the room to see people beginning to stare at us. "Guys." I muttered, only for them to ignore me.

They continued messing around until Clarke arrived at our table. "Oh, hey Clarke." Jasper said sheepishly, like a child with their hand caught in the cookie jar.

Clarke didn't look impressed, "Sit down and look like you're happy to see me." She ordered.

Jasper and Monty slumped back into their seats, "But we are happy to see you." Monty pointed out.

I plastered a fake smile on my face, deciding to go along with whatever Clarke was planning here.

Monty held is plate out, "You have to try the chocolate cake."

Jasper narrowed his eyes at Monty, clearly offended with the fact that Monty would offer Clarke cake but not him, "Oh, it is so on."

Clarke shook her head, "I'm not eating their food."

Confusion swept over me, did Clarke know something that I didn't? I wouldn't say I trusted this place fully but clearly Clarke didn't trust them at all.

"Why? Clarke, what's going on?" I asked, leaning in closer to her.

She opened up the booklet that Keenan had given us earlier, "Look," she whispered, pointing to the map, "They gave us a map with no exits."

Monty and Jasper shared a look of hesitation, they didn't believe Clarke's worries were justified.

Clarke continued, "I need you to tell me everything you've seen, every room, every hallway, every way out."

Jasper looked taken aback, "Way out? Look around you, Clarke. There's no one hunting us here. First time in our lives we're not hungry, why would we want to leave?"

"Because we have friends out there who need our help." Clarke rebutted.

Monty cut into the conversation, "They're looking for survivors. They're way better equipped to find them than we are."

Jasper's voice was low as he spoke, "You're bumming me out. I'm-I'm gonna go get some more chocolate cake." And with that, he stood from the table and left.

Once he was gone, I glanced around for a moment before turning back to Clarke, "I walked through level 3 and 5 with one of the residents, I think he took me a different way than usual. I saw quite a bit."