Chapter Thirteen

Hermione

"Can you fasten this for me?" I ask Ginny, holding back my hair so she can get to my necklace. Ginny and I are getting ready for Slughorn's party- which she is also attending- in the girls' dormitory. I'm wearing diamond earrings, a black beaded necklace, black shoes, and a red dress. The dress goes a little above my knees, and the shoes have a slight heel on them. I've learned that people dress formally for these events. After she fastens my necklace, I let my hair down. It cascades down my shoulders in its usual waves; it's not frizzy like it used to be, thank goodness.

"Don't we look good?" Ginny says, spinning around, and I laugh.

My watch says that there's less than an hour until the party begins. Draco should be out of the detention he earned yesterday by now. I carefully go down the stairs with Ginny behind me, both of us trying not to fall. When we reach the end of the steps, Harry looks up and smiles at Ginny and me. Harry says something to Ginny when she reaches him and they kiss. Then Harry saunters over to me.

"You look nice," He compliments me, grinning, and I thank him. Things between Harry and I have never been romantic, and everyone except Rita Skeeter knows that. Harry compliments me, I compliment him, but we have always been just friends, and we always will be just friends. Our friendship is too beautiful for it to be possibly ruined by romanticism. Ginny understands that.

"I'm going to go get Draco," I tell him, walking towards the portrait hole, "I'll see you at the party." As I walk out of the room, I look back, and notice that Ron is staring from me from the couch. I walk a little faster, and the portrait shuts behind me.

The corridors have a lot of people in them. Most of them are dressed nicely, undoubtedly headed to the party themselves. I smile at them and thank the ones that compliment me. Finally, the door to the common room appears after I draw the pattern, and I walk inside.

What I see is breathtaking. Draco Malfoy is standing in the middle of the room, adjusting his leather jacket. Leather jacket. He wears this over a white button-down dress shirt and dark jeans. He looks amazing; the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Like someone millions of fourteen-year-old girls would swoon over.

"Wow," He exclaims, walking over to me and beaming. In my awe, I didn't realize that he saw me. "You look brilliant." When he reaches me, he grabs my hand.

"Thanks," I reply, grinning, "So do you. Especially in that jacket."

"Oh, this old thing?" He asks, pulling at the sleeves, "This is something the person who lived in my apartment before me accidentally left. I thought it was nice, so I kept it."

"Nice is an understatement," I laugh, and I check my watch.

"Let's go," I tell him, "The party starts in a few minutes."

Draco opens the door for me and we walk out into the corridor. People watch him and me as we pass. Seeing us holding hands must be astounding to them, but it couldn't feel more natural to me.

"How was detention?" I ask him, and he looks down at me as he talks. He looks like a beautiful, valuable painting. Every facial feature stands out, his eyes accentuating his pale skin and hair.

"Fine. Bane was the instructor. I suppose McGonagall has too much on her plate to be bothered with delinquents like me." He jokes, smirking. When he does that, he does look like a bad boy. For a second, I'm reminded of his old self.

"True," I laugh, playfully punching him in the arm, "But, in all seriousness, I did expect there to be a new Transfiguration teacher. It must be difficult to have that position and also Headmistress. I guess she didn't want to give it up."