18. Good-bye

Edit: This story sucks. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote it. :p
Let's hope I get time to edit it and change the coming plot somehow.

...

"Xavier.", I whispered his name slowly which he blatantly ignored.

"Xavier.", I started again, this time nudging his shoulder.

"Hmmm." he said, without wavering his eyes from the road.

"I am bored. I can't sleep." I whined like a child.

"Do you want me to sing lullaby for you?", he added sarcastically and I laughed at the mental image of him singing 'Hush, little baby' for me.

"The road is so bumpy. I don't know how they are sleeping so peacefully." I looked at Alex and Anna's reflection in the front mirror. Anna's head was resting on Alex's shoulder and his arm was holding her closer.

I felt bad for Anna. Poor girl, she was used like an object, just for the sake of family rivalries.

"Can I ask you something?", I asked after much thinking.

"You will ask either way.", he teased and I snorted.

"You will miss me, young man. It's just a matter of ten more hours.", A wave of sadness passed through me at the realization.

His eyes diverted to me for a second and I saw a strange emotion in them, something resembling sorrow.

"I won't. Besides, you'd find a way to crawl back into my life.", he smirked.

"Well, back to my question. What's this Rafael's story?"

His grip tightened on the steering wheel to a point that his knuckles turned white.

"He is the son of my dad's childhood friend. But something happened in their youth which broke their friendship. Rafael's dad is always trying to get back at my dad. When he couldn't harm him with old methods, he sent his son to woo my sister two years ago. She couldn't comprehend his true attentions so I had to intervene and threaten that guy to stay away from her. I had no idea that they were still in touch.", he explained, his voice turning angrier with every passing sentence.

"But if she was still in love with Rafael, then why did she give Alex wrong idea about their relationship?", I asked in confusion.

"Because I didn't know." A raspy voice erupted from the back seat.

"I had no idea that Alex thinks I like him in that way.", I turned around to face Anna who was rubbing her eyes.

"I just wanted to be his friend.", she looked honest in her answer.

Poor Alex.

After her confession, silence prevailed in the car. Not the uncomfortable type but peaceful, comforting silence.

My lids started to turn heavy soon after. I took a glance at Xavier who looked quite fresh. He ran his fingers through his hair, ruffling them slightly. His eyelashes were impossibly long and thick. His nose was in perfect shape and his lips looked so soft that a sudden desire to tluch them arose in my heart.

Why is he so beautiful? It's unfair.

Somewhere in the middle of admiring his perfect features, I succumbed to sleep.

...

Sound of muffled chuckles woke me up. Fluttering my eyes open, I heard Alex's loud laugh, accompanied by Anna's muffled one. Xavier was biting his lower lip to stop himself from smiling.

"What?", I looked between them.

"Nothing.", Xavier lied.

"You were talking in your sleep.", Alex told me and I reddened like a tomato in embarrassment.

"What did I say?", I asked Alex but he didn't reply.

"Tell me please.", I asked Xavier and he just shrugged.

"Will anyone tell me?", I roared in exasperation.

"You were planning your marriage with Jensen Ackles in your dreams." Anna informed me.

"And if you hadn't woken up, you were going to give us a full description of your honeymoon.", Alex said between his laughter.

I turned to Xavier in embarrassment who had a toothy grin on his face.

He musy think I am crazy.

Don't worry Hazel, that ship has long sailed.

"So what? He is hot.", I retorted, trying to justify my action.

"And you are a creep.", Alex teased and earned a punch on his leg from me.

"What's the time?", I asked, changing the subject.

"10 am. You slept for straight 8 hours. Only one hour drive is left.", Xavier informed me.

"Oh.", I passed him a sheepish grin.

I shifted my attention to the road. An unpleasant feeling was erupting in the pit of my stomach. This journey is going to end soon. Xavier will go back to his perfect fiance. Who knows if we will ever meet again.

Would he miss me? Of course not. Why would he miss a stupid, immature girl like me.

Will we ever meet again? Like what happens in crappy romance movies and novels where hero and heroine are brought together through a coincidence.

The car sreeched to a halt, pulling me out of the trance. I looked around, realizing that the car is stopped in front of our house.

Alex gave Anna a good-bye hug and told her that he will call her. He stepped out and walked towards our house, carrying my luggage with him.

My breath hitched at the realization that it was probably the last time I was meeting Xavier. I stared at him with sad, gloomy eyes which he returned with a warm smile.

Tears threatened to burst out of my eyes and I walked out of the car hurriedly to save myself from this embarrassment.

With small steps, I trudged towards the main gate where Alex was standing. Deep down, I wanted Xavier to stop me once.

"Hazel.", I heard his voice from behind, followed by the sound of the door of car opening.

Excitedly, I turned around and watched him run towards me.

Please say I mean something to you.

His blue eyes met with mine and my heart started to pound faster in anticipation.

"You forgot your scarf.", he pulled out his hand and  gave me back my white scarf, which my dad gifted me a month before he died.

"Thanks."

We both looked in each other's eyes, without speaking any word.

"Umm.. I should go.", I managed to say despite my inner turmoil.

Just when I turned back, his hands clamped around my wrist and he pulled me towards him. The action was so sudden that it took me few seconds to realizs that he was hugging me.

For a minute, I listened to his heartbeat which was just as fast as mine. I inhaled his scent, committing it to my memory.

"Stay away from troubles.", he said before pulling apart and creating some distance between us.

"You too.", I breathed out and he nodded in return.

Passing me another sad smile, he returned to his car and slided inside. Waving his hand to me, he started the engine and soon, he was out of my sight.

*************************

Awwww. 😔😔😔😔

Will they meet again? Let's find out in the next chapter.