Chapter 2 - His Excitement

"Yes, David. Great!" He ended the call and dialed another number.

"Hello, Mishra? "

The ends of his lips lifted upward as he ended the call. Things were perfect. The happiness was unbeatable. He had achieved more than he had expected and was returning home to his family. To her. To his other half. 

He was dying of anticipation with every minute and still living to meet her. He couldn't contain his excitement. How would she react on seeing him unexpectedly? How would mom dad react? Oh, he missed all of them so much. Now, he could give them with pride all that they deserved. 

The gleam in their eyes when they would see him successful. The pride blooming on their face. The comfort he owed them. The reputation of the family name, which his dad had worked his entire life for. The hope his mother had tirelessly nurtured him with. The care, love, and everything his parents had given him. He couldn't wait to see them realize their dream. 

Then there was her

He wondered how he had existed without her, as he looked down on the city of California growing smaller. He took a deep breath. That feeling of heading home. He remembered this feeling ever since school. He smiled looking down. His gaze stuck on the ring on his finger. His wedding ring.

"Anika!" He sighed.it had been so long since he saw her. Ever since that argument on the call, things never went back to being how they were. He was actually a little happy in the sadness.

There were days when he craved to talk to her. Every time he called she would either hand the phone to his parents or cut him off saying she was busy with something. He couldn't blame her. She never wanted this in the first place. She had been so upset when he had told her about his plan for extending his stay. He knew she hated it. More that he asserted his decision rather than asking. Never mind. When she would see him in person she would forget everything. 

If it hadn't been for her, he wouldn't be where he was. Every time he felt terrible, he would miss her so much. Her warmth, her hugs, her kisses her whispering assurance. Every time he was close to giving up h remembered her face and sprang back. He couldn't let her sacrifice, their sacrifice go in vain. All along he kept pushing himself with one thought. Achieve and get back home, to her. He wiped away the moisture off the edge of his eye.

Happiness was surfacing. He laid back and sighed. Home.

He couldn't Wait!

* * *

Anika sat stirring the dal. She had wanted yo have a private lunch. Mumma had packed her lunch as usual. Her thoughts were stuck at the news she had received last night - His Arrival.

Her thoughts went back to that day. That was their first-ever argument. That too, on the call.

...

"Shivaay you are joking right?" She asked a little hesitant. It did not sound like a joke.