74 | ACT V, SCENE I

P R E V I O U S L Y

I cried by her side, I cried all night, I cried waiting for her to open her eyes again. But she never did.

ARCTON FORTRESS, RIMEBAY, VERTGATE

TRISTAN

"OH GOD, WHAT HAPPENED? I just heard!" Nyx's voice drifted in as the doors of the chamber opened again. She burst into the room, followed by Helios over the commotion raging outside.

His eyes lingered over the room.

Over Edwina, lying motionless with her eyes closed, her skin blazing hotter than any fire I'd ever known. Over me, sitting beside her with her hand in mine. Over Vivian leaning against the wall, his face watchful and furrowed with concern. Over Rosalva and Cymbeline weeping silently in a corner. Over Vincent, who had arrived just an hour ago and had Halette shuddering in his arms even as he gently rubbed her back and coaxed sips of water down her throat. Miriel had curled up near the bed, shaking with sobs as her tears glistened in the firelight.

Helios paled, and so did his sister beside him.

"I... oh god," he croaked, slowly moving towards us. My grip on my blade tightened as I raised my hard jaw to meet his, lined with threatening protectiveness. Cursed be I if I let any of them ever harm her again.

"Who... who did this?" Nyx whispered, her eyes faintly glittering with moisture. Behind them, Llewelyn entered the room with Vanessa, both their faces white.

I couldn't bring myself to answer. Atherton put a hand on my shoulder and answered for me.

"The Everly children. Favian, Celestina. And... Aidon."

"Her own brother?" Nessa flinched in horror and raised a hand to cover her mouth as a gasp slipped out of her.

The sorrow and tears glinting in my eyes were the only answer.

"She didn't kill those children," Halette whispered, her eyes red and distraught. "Celestina did, and she escaped."

"I will find her," I swore out harshly, my voice terser and sharper than cut glass. "And when I find her, I will look right into her eyes and ask her why she did this... before I gouge them out of her damned skull."

"When Lucius finds out... that his son tried to kill his own daughter," Helios spoke in a voice strangled with emotion. "Lords... oh god-"

Outside, a volley of raised voices commanded my attention.

The LeVanes.