Chapter 28

The person with her was the last of all people I wished to see after the dream I had last night. The sight before my eyes made me want to shrink and hide under a rock so I wouldn't have to come across the person againㅡat least for a while. How could I after what I dreamt? The sight of it changed everything. It made the person feel a part of the nightmares now.

"Hi, Bella," the personㅡOscar greeted and smiled at me. I was so hung up on my words that I couldn't speak. I was only progressing on making choking noises like if I was stammering. I was baffled.

His thick eyebrows furrowed in concentration and worry . Momma Beer cleared her throat, also noticing my troubles, walked to me and wrapped her arm around my shoulder.

"Bella, snap of it." She nudged me against her side. Somehow it popped the bubble of my panic attack.

"Oscar," I finally managed to say, dumbstruck. "H...Hi." I chuckled lightly. At my change of emotion, his lips spread into his charming smile. It read "relieved". He thought that I wasn't happy to see him.

"Oh, thank God," he said, throwing a hand over the chest of his floral shirt, the bicep on his arm swelling. "I thought for a minute there you weren't happy to see me."

My eyes widened. Wow...I jinxed it. I would've called it, but doing so would make me sound dumb ass hell. He wasn't thinking what I was thinking.

"Nope," I said, my voice pitched. "I'm, well, it's just..." I was trying to gesture with my hands while I tried to explain in my stuttering matter how surprised I was. Oscar must've got the point because he closed in on me and placed his hands over mine, stopping and lowering them. His hands on my skin sent chills through my veins. It must've did the same to him because he made eye contact with me, silently saying You felt that, too, didn't you?

It was weird because Momma Beer's arm was still around my shoulder. As if the tension hit her in the head, she unwrapped it and dismissed herself without a comment. With that, the staring contest between Oscar and I lingered. I felt his thumb stroke against my skin and each stroke made me even more nervous. My breath hitched and shook at my throat. Something about his touch felt strange...

I finally broke our stare by fluttering my eyes away and taking a step back. I chuckled and scuffed my hair behind my ear. Oscar's chest swelled as he inhaled deeply, also feeling a way about it.

"S-so," I inquired. "Wh...what are you doing here?" I shut my eyes closed as soon as I said that. I felt bad for making it sound like that. "I-I-I mean, w-what are youㅡI didn't mean for it to sound like thatㅡhuhㅡ" Oscar's bellowed laugh shut me up. And man, was it an attractive sound. It sounded like he paused between "Ha's". His throat bobbed as the laugh died down.

"Bella, Bella, Bella," He sighed. "It's not a crime for your mom to go into town, shop and accidentally run into me, is it?" Smiling, I shook my head. Whoa...I smiled? A real smile? I covered my lips which made Oscar frown as if knowing why I did. Again, I was right because he asked with a soft sadness in his voice, "Now, why did you do that?"

I didn't remove my hand so I muffled behind it. "Do what?" That was a bad idea once he came close to me again to remove my hand from my lips. I tried to low key fight it but failed. He was waaaay stronger than me.

"Don't hide your smile, Bella," he significantly whispered making his voice husky. My throat tightened, making it hard to swallow the lump in my throat. Those warm brown eyes stared me down again. Something cozy and heartwarming waved through them. It made me want to smile again. I've never felt this way around anyone before. Should I be afraid?

I darted my eyes elsewhere, Oscar's heart shattering again. I forbid to feel that same way again. My heart and lung seemed to go in sync from just staring up at him. I couldn't breathe properly, my heart skipped several beats from pumping nervous blood too fast. I couldn't handle it in time. His touch sent strange warmth and comfort.