Chapter 37

A week after Clovis had woken up and things were still tense around us. We would watch our every movement, of course I had the advantage of feeling his location due to the lands ability. And I was sure he knew this and kept it in mind as he stayed around the castle. To even let him know that he was venturing too far one early morning with Ray, I created a gentle ice gate right in front of them while I was in my own warm home. Ray came in our room later that after noon and had a smirk on his face I wiped off with my lips.

     We did, though, establish castle dinners every night since Clovis had awoken. I'm sure he felt like he was walking into the lions den, which he was, but Ray and I also agreed that it was a perfect moment to show Clovis how normal we were here in winter.

     Alagan's identity was still a secret, until Clovis agreed to be on my side of the war, and have his signature written in blood as a sealing contract to show his bond. For now though, Alagan practiced with the twins, Nazim, Ray, and Aunt Palma in private, away from foreign eyes and ears. And it wasn't a secret he and Zinnia practiced in a more private space.

     Which made the sessions between Nazim and Alagan that the more awkward. Yet neither of the men voiced it, if Alagan knew the history between my cousin and sister in law, he didn't lead on. But he knew, of course he did. Nothing went unnoticed under my brothers eyes.

     "Pass the potatoes Aunt Palma," I said.

     My Aunt's still glowing skin, despite the change of climate, handed over the steaming plate of chopped vegetables and it was hard to miss the way Ivory and Dax gave death glares to Clovis. Which was nothing out of the ordinary. Even after Ray and I told them which secrets to keep and how important it was to be civil, even with those who have wronged us, that it was part of being a royal.

     "Clovis," Ivory said in a deceitful sweet voice.

     Clovis blinked as he didn't expect to be addressed by Ivory. "Yes?"

     "Princess, that's how you have to talk to me, when I talk to you," she added.

     Lands above she looked just like my mother with the way she lifted her chin and puckered her lips, and only at the age of five. Alagan must had seen it too because we gave each other that haunted look.

     Clovis' colored eyes waver in submission as he smiled and apologized. "Yes Princess Ivory."

     "How much longer are you going to stay?"

     "Ivory, we have talked about this," I said to her. Our matching brown eyes stared at one another, and I knew that look, she wasn't going to keep her mouth shut. Not this time, she's had enough.

     "Another word out of you that is not dinner table etiquette and you won't have your lessons tomorrow morning or play with your friends, is that understood?" Ray asserted.

     "But I didn't do anything! He's the one that killed our people! He's the one that attacked!" She yelled. Her soup was now forgotten, the same as everyone else's as they set their utensils to the side to watch the scene unfold.

     Clovis, for the very least, looked down, ashamed for his actions.

     "Enough Ivory," I said as calmly as I could. I knew she was angry, that both of my children were, but they needed to understand that not every battle is won by fighting. 

     "No! No! He's hurt people!" Her bowl was pushed to the side as her little delicate fingers went towards Clovis, and red flames went to his chest. Her aim had certainly gotten better, it could have splattered and hit elsewhere, but it didn't. She's certainly picking up on the element beautifully.