Chapter 15: Asking Nicely (Part 2/3)

As Káel pulled his covers up to go to bed, he caught the usual flash of red as Phantom drifted through the wall to the outdoors. Granted, he was glad he could go to sleep knowing Phantom wasn't sitting there watching him like a creep, but he was still curious as to what was out there that could keep the man entertained for so long.

          With the thought heavy on his mind, Káel pulled his mind to sleep. A sequence interrupted by the cold lick of a breeze tickling his face and crawling through his warm covers. The irritation quickly became unbearable, and he lifted his head drowsily to inspect the culprit.

          All at once his body lurched back with a shriek of surprise, his heart pounding at the unexpected visitor perched in the frame of his window. The figure with snowy white hair watched him impassively, allowing the thin curtains to flutter and set the eerie scene in the unwelcomed breeze. 

          Káel sucked in a breath, holding his covers up to hide his body from the visitor. "What are you doing here?"

          The boy watched him silently, his violet eyes glowing in the blue light of the outdoors, and for once, Káel was opting for another Ray nightmare over another one of these.

          The boy waved him over to follow, but Káel shook his head, still watching him with fearful caution. "This might be a dream, but I don't care. Let me sleep!"

          The boy didn't show a hint of irritation at Káel's refusal, in fact he smiled, stepping over the window frame and ducking into Káel's room instead.

          "Uh uh, no, get out," Káel ordered, jumping to his feet and backing away from the approaching stranger.

          He didn't listen to a single order Káel shouted, walking towards him quickly with an unknown intent. Káel turned and whipped open his door to run down the hall, but the stretch of sparsely decorated walls wasn't there.

          A gust of cold air blasted him in the face, along with a wet grassy aroma. Still holding onto the doorknob he stared speechlessly at the broad roof of the school. He sighed and slowly closed the door, turning to look back at the boy.

          But he didn't turn to see his room, the setting now shifted to the expansive roof as a cutting chill sank into Káel's bones. He crossed his arms as the boy tossed him a smug grin. "Alright, fair enough," Káel growled, shoving his hands in his pockets to shelter them from the cold. "Can we make this quick? It's cold out here."

          The boy nodded, and reached into his pocket, but he didn't pull out Phantom's rock like the last time. Instead, it was the Ceptrum with the black symbol on it that Káel kept on his nightstand.

          "Yeah? That's a Ceptrum, quit stealing my stuff," Káel said coldly.

          The boy shoved it back into his pocket, and waved for Káel to follow him, jumping off the roof they were standing on to lightly land on another expanse of roof. Káel followed him, landing with a heavy thud and groaning from the spike of pain shooting up his knees. The boy seemed to be taking the same path as last time, scaling down the school with swift efficiency, and waiting for Káel when he lagged behind.

          "Are you taking me to your dirt pile again?" Káel climbed down the last bit of wall to land on the soft green grass. The boy smiled, and casually strolled over to the familiar pile of dug up grass. "You are, aren't you?"

          The boy knelt in front of the pile and pulled his hood down, ruffling his white hair that was now glowing in the light of the outdoors. He slid his gloves off and pulled the Ceptrum out of his pocket, holding it up to the worn down white rock Káel had uncovered.