Chapter 22

Of. Fucking. Course. Of course Tate would be Cole's cousin. Because why in the name of all that is holy can't I just sleep with someone no one knows. 

I ran a hand through my hair as Cole spoke up again, "Ariel. What are you doing at my cousin's house? How do you know Tate?" he asked me.

"Um, I wouldn't say I know him, per-say. We-uh, we actually just met today, um-"

"Cole? What are you doing here?" Tate asked, walking down the stairs. Shirtless.

I rubbed my temples and ran another hand through my hair. Cole seemed to catch on quickly, "Oh for the love of God. Did you two sleep together?" Cole exclaimed.

"And on that note, I'm going to leave." I said, beginning to make my way to the door.

Cole grabbed onto my arm, "Oh no you don't. I want you to explain to me exactly what happened." Cole said, looking me in the eyes. I couldn't read his emotions. I couldn't tell if he was angry, surprised, or just plain hurt. And that killed me.

"You sure you want everything, cuz?"Tate asked with a smirk.

"Oh that's disgusting," Cole said with a shudder, "I need to get out of here." He said, turning and running out the door.

"Cole, wait." I called running out the door.

"Let him go Ariel." Tate said, grabbing my arm.

"No Tate. This isn't something I can just let go." I said, pulling myself away from his grip and running out the door.

"Cole wait. I need you to listen to me. Please. I can't lose you too." I said, feeling myself begin to break down.

Cole seemed to sense the fragility in my voice, because he turned around to look at me, "Ariel what happened? Who did you lose?" he asked me.

I ran a hand through my hair, trying my hardest to keep the tears down. I found myself laughing to keep myself from falling apart, "I know all of you know I'm in love with Lucas," I said and he looked at the ground, "and it kills me, kills me to see him with Katie. I don't know why I feel that way about him, but I do. I just, I needed a distraction." I said with a shake of my head.

Cole was quiet as I spoke again, "Yesterday at school, when I found out about the pictures on Twitter, my heart broke. Because it showed me a relationship that would never happen. And when I  had to defend him and myself to his girlfriend because he didn't, it made me so angry."

"Ariel, you don't have to explain anything to me. I under-" 

I cut him off, "No. You deserve to know the whole story." I interjected. He nodded once and gestured for me to continue.

I took a breath, "Tyler took me out last night to try and get my mind off everything. We got drunk and started making out but I stopped it. It wasn't right. We fell asleep in his room because neither of us could drive in our condition. Lucas found us asleep in bed and assumed the worst. The way he yelled and looked at me, it made me so angry. I just-I didn't understand how he could act so possessive over me when he has a girlfriend.

"So I went to the gym and fought. For hours. And Tate was there. He saw me fight and came up to me when I was done. He was there, he was attractive, and I didn't know who he was. So I slept with him. If I had known he was your cousin I never would have even led him on and I hope you know that." I finished as Cole looked at me.

"Ariel of course I know that," he said as he walked over to me and wrapped me in a tight hug, "and I'm not mad. It was just a bit of a shock to see you walk down the stairs. You're one of my best friends, and I know how hard things have been for you lately. We all do. And we're all on your side." He said to me.