Smoke

After the little scene in the lobby, we all parted and no one spoke for awhile.

Though, when the time came, everyone was gathered into the kitchen. I was one of the last ones to walk in and I awkwardly sat on the chair at the end of the long table.

A huge feast was set out on the table and my eyes hungrily gazed over it. I glanced up at Tate in the process who sat across me on the other side of the room.

The table was that long.

Colin, Tom, Dale, Roger, Eddie, Joseph and my father Jonathan, also sat around the table.

It was a full house.

Once everyone was seated no one spoke. It irritated me how I seemed to be the one who always broke the silence.

If only I got a dollar for every time...

"Beautiful day isn't it?"

Was what I had managed to blurt out.

Dale chocked on the pea he had threw into his mouth and fell into a coughing fit.

All eyes shifted to his and still no one spoke. But Eddie glanced at me and his small figure shook slightly as he tried to conceal his laughter.

"Sorry," Dale said hoarsely as he cleared his throat.

I narrowed my eyes at him and felt my cheeks go red as I looked down at my lap in embarrassment.

"What did that woman mean," Tate suddenly asked in a gruff tone, "-about Elina," he finished, asking the question on every ones mind as he stared intently at Jonathan.

I heard Colin sigh as he leaned back in his chair and looked into his glass. I glanced at him in curiosity as he stared intently at the cup and looked like he was lost in a memory.

Strange.

"I do not know. But if she means harm to my daughter I will have her gone," Jonathan spoke lowly as he stared right back at Tate.

Tate slowly nodded and gave Jonathan a look that left me suspicious.

Now...what exactly did he mean by gone?

"Son," Roger cut in and glanced sharply at Tate.

"-I passed down the Alpha position knowing you are very capable of running this place. But If certain people are causing-" before Roger could finish, Tate shook his head and silenced his father.

"No. I have it under control. No harm will be done," Tate said with determination as his eyes found mine.

I sighed and grabbed the glass of water near my plate and drank it all at once.

"You have it under control?" Dale snorted once he recovered from his coughing fit, "-are you sure about that? The amount of shit-"

"Dale," Tate growled as he turned sharply to face his brother.

Colin slammed his cup onto the table and sharply leaned forward making me jump a little.

"Ladies, ladies. Please, not in front of the guests," Colin scowled.

"Ladies?" Eddie called out as he looked at his brothers in horror and Tom snickered behind his hand.

I opened my mouth to speak but an intense pain in the side of my head made me stop.

I clenched my teeth as signs of a headache made me rub my temple.

"My daughter," Jonathan interrupted as he looked at Tate with firm eyes, "-if she is not safe here I will have to take her back with me."