Chapter 49: Back against the Wall

Penlai island was all that rung through Mingxia Jie's head. But before she was to go to Penlai island she had unfinished business here in Jiang. Her mind wandered to how she would be able to finish this quickly. Each day would bring new trials. And a new trial had approached her. Bai had been called to the imperial palace. Inside the palace; the throne room washed in fire and ice. On the Emperor's side fire consumed everything around him. The does growing with his own temper. While on Bai's side ice froze over both the servants and in the middle of it Bai sat on his own ice throne. Bai's nonchalant attitude froze almost everything and it slowly encroached on the Emperor.

Neither man would stand down in their pride and ego so they just simply had their conversation as the room was in chaos. Bai puffed out a cold breathe.

-" My, my. Why are you being so childish?"

-" Zhen could say the same for you Merc. But that would be below Zhen. Now let's get down to business."

Bai let out a hum of ignorance. He wasn't in the mood to deal with the Emperor. He'd rather be the one to overthrow the man. But that was only a dream for the meantime. Bai leaned against his own throne and slumped against the cold surface. He ignored most of what the Emperor said. But he realized the growth of the flames on his side of the room. He raised his brow as he paid attention to the progress that the flames made in surrounding him.

-" Merc are you even listening to Zhen?!"

-" Yeah, yeah."

-"Zhen wants you to rid the courts of someone."

-"The courts? That's some big money right there. I hope you're able to pay."

-" Zhen is the Emperor. Of course I can pay."

Bai shrugged his arms and hopped off his makeshift throne. The throne shattered into pieces and the ice blew up to the roof surrounding the Emperor from all angles. The sharpness of the ice was uncanny. The emperor visibly shrunk back into the throne where the flames sat on the throne itself.

-" I'll do the job. So who's the unlucky court official?"

-" Zhen will send you the details later merc."

Bai shrugged and turned to leave before stopping in his tracks and focusing his attention on the Emperor once more. The blades of ice started to move slowly in on the Emperor.

-"I pray that you can hold your word or else..."

Bai dragged his thumb across his neck in a slicing motion. Smirking as his robes fluttered as he left. Bai left the throne room and back on his way to the Velvet Piano. He did not like what the Emperor had planned for him. He did not like it one bit. Word travelled fast of Bai's new job, mumbles and whispers echoed through the halls of the Velvet Piano; the rumors of the requirements and how Bai would receive later news of the target. Everyone felt that it would indeed be a bad job to take. But who would question the Emperor. No one. Well maybe except Mingxia Jie. When Bai walked into the halls, most of his comrades gave him a look of pity. They knew that such jobs led to death, but Bai was optimistic if anything.

As his eyes scanned around, they quickly fell on Mingxia Jie. Who was by no means wearing beautiful clothing. The clothing was drab and inconspicuous. She hid her face and her aura. Disappearing into the background for it not for Bai's sharp eyes. Both made eye contact and gave a silent nod. Mingxia Jie took this to stand up and leave. She disappeared amongst the crowds and left. At the back of Mingxia Jie's head, she had also heard the rumors surrounding the job. She knew the risks, just as everyone had. And she felt a sense of worry for her new found friend. She heard a meow. She spun on her heel to see an abnormally large cat.

-"You lost me master."
-"How did you get so fat?"
-" master don't make fun of me!! I've been training seperately from you to be able to strengthen you. Just a little bit longer and I'll be the size of a mountain lion cub. Then I'll be able to change size without issue."

In truth Mingxia Jie had forgotten about the cat. It was of insignificant value that she just forgot that it automatically raised her powers. But at the moment it wouldn't be of any help till it was stronger on its own. So she just forgot.

True to her word she found herself where she fought with Bai under the tree. Her pet had long since left to become fatter. There was no happy reunion as Bai faced Mingxia Jie. The mood wasnt morose and it certainly wasn't one for celebration. Neither lowered their guard to another. Mingxia Jie was the first to speak.
-" Why do it?"
-"Because I have to. Jie'er it is the Emperor we are talking about. Unfortunately I don't have the power to not accept."

This was a very true statement. In Mingxia Jie's lastlife she was able to choose her jobs because she was infamous and had a strong backing. Nothing could possibly stop her from doing it as she would. But that did not apply to everyone. Bai did not have the same opportunities as she did. Work was work. Someone had to bring the money in, and working for the Emperor was practically a cash cow. Rates for mercenaries skyrocket when they are infamous and when they offer their services to those of royalties. Mingxia Jie knew this best. However she also knew that working such jobs came with high risk. In a mercenaries mind they are merely the pawns in the Royals mind. It's an in and out job with little to no traces left of a kill. It's easier to get paid and less of a chance to die.

Quickly following the meeting with the Emperor, Bai recieved the details to the target. He didn't like it one bit. He knew that killing such a man would end terribly. The best case was the destruction for the Velvet Piano and his life as merc. The man was none other than the man of Shanshen people. The Governor general. Such a shame as well since he was a rising star in the world of politics as well as the youngest Governor general in the Dynasty's history. Bai thought about how his brothers and sisters would feel about such a target. Though he was aware that not one of them would take the target. But Bai started by scouting out the home anyways. Since there was nothing he could do about the kill. He was aware though that the Governor general has been tried to be killed more than once. And not by his people. People who either had private armies or assassin's under their pay. He actually ran into one.