45: Selfless Courage

Mageia had fought the best she could against her kidnappers, but they were strong

Mageia had fought the best she could against her kidnappers, but they were strong. Too strong to be natural. They moved swiftly on their feet and carried her from the infirmary and through the woods. They forced her down the well and through the tunnels with purpose. She prayed to the gods that they would intervene, or at least Dawnis, but the hope of them leaving their fights turned to ashes in her gut.

They escorted her through to an ancient clearing constructed by the giant Ardeans many eras ago into the old unoccupied base. No one would tell her what was going on. Why had they kidnapped her and killed everyone in the process? Why did they bring her to this abandoned base? Instead of answering, the two personally investigated the adjoined rooms around the clearing and sifted through the junk left behind long ago. She tried untying herself, but the rope they used was dabbed into a mystical potion to withhold strong magicians.

An hour or so later, a third soldier joined them with information and orders directly from Eron. Apparently, Eron had an issue to settle at a nearby base and said that they discovered they were being followed. By whom, they didn't know, but he told them to stay alert.

Mageia spat questions and concerns at them, but they ignored her completely. She prayed that whoever caught wind of their trail had brought backup. Then Sii, the shadowdemon, decided to see who the person was and returned overjoyed. Prince Grisonce was coming, and he was alone.

Deep down she prayed he would get lost but knew there were no adjoined tunnels to turn into plus her sticky fingers had managed to grab Lord Hercones' handkerchief before they carried her away. And when she knew they were getting closer to their destination, she dropped it just in case someone witnessed her abduction and followed. However, she didn't expect it to be Prince Grisonce.

Fearing they would hurt him, she pleaded for Sii to redirect him somehow, but instead he decided to have some fun. Mageia almost swallowed her tongue, gaping in horror as Sii transformed into a mystical nightmare and slithered into the darkness.

The Strange Prince moaned as he awoke, sitting beside her with his wrists bound behind him. She felt honored and proud to have someone care for her so much, to track her down and fight a winless fight. Compared to all the men she had known and met, Prince Grisonce had selfless courage, which she doubted the pathetic young man knew.

"Grisonce," she whispered, relieved that Sii had removed her gag. She nudged him with a boot Sii had slid on her feet before they took the long trek through the underground tunnels. "Grisonce, wake up."

He shivered awake and searched frantically for the shadow, but Sii had left his side minutes ago.

"Untie me," Grisonce ordered, struggling to turn his chair.

"Grisonce, don't do anything stupid," Mageia said. "They may have tied you with mystical rope."

"Mystical rope?"

"That's what Sii called it. Rope dipped in sorcery. Every time I struggle against mines, it gets tighter, and it stings very badly."

He stared at her, and guilt washed over his honey-colored eyes. "I'm sorry."