Part 56

"So what will it be? Would you care for a cup of tea? Or some sliced fresh fruit? There is a popular place here called Bramhachari' s, they are renowned for their fruit platter!" The years of living in Bombay had been rather insightful for Madhav. The sharp teenage boy whose ambition drove him from the comfort of his country home to the large city was quick to team up with another adventurer like Dinkar. Both knew every nook and cranny within a few kilometres radius from where they lived.

"Why would a place known for their fruit platters be called Bramhachari' s?" Surangi wondered aloud. 

"That was because the owner, while still in his teens, made his escape from the small town where he was born and started to make a living by selling fruit at a rented stall close to the beach. His business expanded and he began to slice the fruit at his customer's requests. The shop was nicknamed Bramhachari' s because he was single, or footloose at that time, unlike me!" Madhav's eyes twinkled and Surangi noted that her grown-up husband was not as boring as he looked. 

"Are you suggesting that a wife is a burden to contend with?" Madhav noticed her arched eyebrows and decided to switch the topic of conversation.

"I am still waiting to know your choice! What have you decided?" He asked.

"I would really like to try out some coffee. I have never tasted it and am quite curious!" Surangi confessed. She had been planning this for a few months. In her imagination coffee was a mysterious alien brew that was patronised only by a privileged few. Madhav smiled at her earnest expression. 

"Madam, your wish is my command! I know the perfect café where you can have your first taste of coffee. It is a bit of a walk, about a kilometre from the Royal Opera House. If you are tired we can hire a taxi!" Madhav elaborated. His young wife was not used to negotiating busy streets.

" But won't Vidya Tai fret if we stay out late?" Surangi was not used to being out on romantic dates with Madhav, she still wondered if it was an acceptable social norm.

"Don't worry, I shall call her from the café. The owner lets you use the telephone on his desk for a small charge." Madhav hailed a passing taxi cab and held the door open for her. As the taxi sped across Kennedy bridge and snaked its way toward Proctor street, Surangi's curiosity about the neighbourhood was stoked once more. 

"Are we not close to the infamous quarter of the city?" She expressed her apprehension.

"Yes, we are not far from the pleasure houses teeming with courtesans and dancing girls called tawaifs by the locals and nautch girls by the British." Madhav looked at his wife from the corner of his eye, wondering what was crowding her mind. 

"Chandri wrote to me about the plight of the trafficked women behind the cages!" Surangi replied, as her eyes tried to seek out visual evidence of the pleasure city edifice where the bewitching and the damned co-existed amidst antique grace, elegance and the strains of a thumri.   

"She was probably referring to the brothels of Kamathipura where flesh trade flourishes. On the other hand these houses are known for Mujra performances by dancing girls. While their patrons are also men these women don't sell their bodies like common prostitutes! They may opt for a long-term faithful relationship with a wealthy lover, who is often a married man,  if they wish to. Freedom of choice sets them apart from the caged inmates of the  brothels." Madhav knew he was walking on thin ice, but Surangi was not a child anymore.

"And how do you know so much about these two disparate worlds?" Surangi was quick to ask.

"Can you imagine the ravage of disease infesting these sleaze-ridden neighbourhoods? Those hapless prostitutes are always in dire need of treatment because they are not in control of whom they are expected to service. It is hardly surprising that the first venereal disease clinic of Bombay was opened here in 1916. And as you know, I am training to be a doctor!" Madhav sounded rather clinical. 

"So would you treat a woman of the night without any qualms?" She asked. She wondered how Madhav really felt about them.

"A registered physician takes an oath to administer to the sick without prejudice. To a doctor, a patient is just a person who needs to be examined, diagnosed and treated!" Madhav explained.

"But I have heard that a surgeon may not operate on his kin! Is that not a contradiction?" Her query was quite valid.

"Doctors are human too!  Emotions can cloud medical judgement! Once can stay emotionally detached from a non-related patient, but a family member is a different story!" Madhav had never had such a serious discussion with Surangi. He rolled his eyes remembering that this was supposed be their first date. Obviously there was nothing romantic about their current discussion.

The cabbie dropped them off right outside the quaint café furnished with Italian marble table-tops and wooden Czech chairs. A delicious aroma of baked savouries and sweet treats wafted in the air and Surangi suddenly felt hungry even though she had eaten earlier. She asked Madhav to order for them since he knew the menu like the back of his hand.

"Bun maska, vegetable puff, mawa cake, and a pot of coffee!" Madhav rattled off the order effortlessly.

"Won't that be too much? We may not finish all of it!" Surangi reacted when their snacks were served.  

"So who said we are going home anytime soon? You heard me assure Vidya Tai, she is fine with our date. I want you to try everything. These mawa cakes are to die for! Have them after the coffee though. And remember to bite into the puff between sips of coffee." Madhav offered her a taste. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee hit Surangi's nose before her palate had sampled the beverage. Madhav poured the coffee into their cups. 

"These cakes are really delicious. We must take home some for the children!" Surangi suggested.

"Indeed, but we don't have any children yet!" Madhav grinned at his own joke.

"You know I meant Madhu, Gaju and Waman!" Surangi tried to conceal her blush without much success. Madhav had never flirted with her before. 

"Tell me something! What would you do If I fall ill? Would you have another male doctor treat me?" Her smile grew wider as instead of answering her question Madhav took a pen out of his pocket and briskly drew something on his fingertips.

"Here's what I would do if you feel sick. My arms would take good care of you. And treatment shall be free for life! Now if that's not romantic what else is?" He turned his palm toward her to let her see his quick sketch.

"This is so cute!" She squealed in delight. 

"And the rest of me is not? You have not seen anything yet, my dear wife!" Madhav winked at her.

Surangi wondered if Madhav's amorous transformation had been influenced by  the passionate affair between Dinkar and Rohini. It was hard to tell whether Dinkar was giving Madhav tips or was learning from him. 

"Hey, give me your hand!" He spread her palm open over the tabletop, taking something out of his pocket. His hand closed over hers and his touch lingered for some time until Surangi freed the grip to espy a fragile looking blue tinted glass vial. 

"Evening in Paris was originally called Soir de Paris. It is a great favourite among high society women. The French cosmetic house of Bourjois launched this fragrance in 1928, exactly eight years ago when yours truly took your little hand in marriage! You were too young for perfume then. See how different things are now! My nose easily recognised the warm notes of sandalwood you wore this evening! What a happy coincidence, they use sandalwood in Soir de Paris too!" Madhav's smile was genuine as he acknowledged her effort to dress up for his sake.

"You noticed! Thank you for the present, I shall cherish it always!" This was only the beginning, she reminded herself. They had a long way to go on the paved road of mutual love!