CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Chapter 15

- Ace King -

Since Mia declined my offer, and I had nothing else to do, I ended up going to visit my father. I didn't really want to go, but I had to follow orders. There were multiple questions I wanted to ask him, and I don't even know where to start. What I do know, is that I wasn't going to leave with unanswered questions.

I sighed heavily. Let's just get this over with.

Right after Mia said she couldn't hang out today, I signed up to go visit my father, filling in the necessary paperwork and such. Thankfully, I wasn't on the waiting list for too long, and I was notified that I was able to visit my father today.

After a long drive, I finally arrived at my destination; the prison my dad was being held at. Making sure that there was nothing valuable I could lose in my car, I locked it and made my way into the building.

Walking to the front desk, I gave the police officer my visitor application as well as showing them my ID. She kept the papers and gave me back my ID before telling me to go through security. All I needed to do was go through a metal detector, but what really caught my interest was the drug-sniffing dogs present on the other side.

They looked guarded as if they were about to pounce on someone. Their eyes followed each person that passed by them, sniffing the air for the slightest smell of any kind of drug.

Passing the test of the metal detector and the dogs, an officer was waiting for me on the other side. He smiled.

"Finally decided to see your father, huh?"

"Unfortunately," I answered Ian. He was a good friend of my father. He and dad go way back into high school.

I wonder what Ian must think about having to see one of his good friends in prison.

Leading the way, I followed behind Ian, looking at the several individuals waiting to meet the person they were here for.

"He's waiting for you through these doors," Ian said. "You know the rules?"

"Yeah."

"Good luck," he spoke quickly before opening the door. The first thing I was when I walked in was my dad staring down at his cuffed hands that were stuck through a loop on a metal desk. He looked tired, and much more pale remembered.

Probably from the lack of sunlight. The door shut behind me with a bit of a slam, and although there were no officers in the room, I knew they were watching. Making sure that the visit was orderly.

He didn't look up, which kind of pissed me off, but I didn't say a word. I walked up to the chair at the desk across from where he was sitting, pulling the chair out rather roughly than I should have. I saw him flinch for the first time. Sitting down, I crossed my arms, waiting for him to speak up.

He chuckled bitterly. "You must be pissed off."

"No shit," I scoffed.

He still wouldn't look at me.

He cleared his throat. "How's your mother?"

"She wasn't doing so great for a while. She fine now."

Dad sighed. "Look, I'm sorry for everything. For involving you in my mess instead of dealing with it myself. I was a coward."