⚫Chapter 1⚫

We were currently at the mall eating lunch. Our parents had urged us to get out of the house, which was understandable. It was the beginning of August and the weather was very nice outside. We were outside quite often. Whether we were playing basketball or volleyball, hanging out at the beach, or even just driving around town. But today, we were inside and we were loud. So loud to the point where our parents literally begged us to leave. So that is what we did.

"Can I taste one?" Lucian asked me. I pushed my tray of golden fries toward him. "You guys are literally going to be in university next month," Blaike stated to us before taking a huge bite into his burger. Saphira, Nathan, and I had graduated from high school a few months ago and now we were about to embark on this new journey called university.

I guess you could say that I was excited... kind of. After all, I had never been to university before and I was curious to know what it was all about.  Last week was our orientation and it was a very interesting experience, to say the least. There were so many students and everyone was practically beaming with excitement, including my Saphira. They had provided us with quite a bit of information. It may have been overwhelming for some. Perhaps to the ones who were taking notes.

Saphira was ecstatic about the whole thing. In fact she couldn't stop talking about it. She couldn't wait to explore the best spots to hangout and study. She wanted to know what every inch of the university looked like and all the possible opportunities to get involved in activities and campaigns.

"Yeah, it's kind of hard to believe it to be honest," Nathan responded. He reached over snatching a handful of the greasy food from my tray. "He asked, you didn't," I stated. He ignored me as he shoved it into his mouth. "I'm very excited," Saphira exclaimed. "We know," everyone said in unison.

"Leilani doesn't seem that thrilled though," Lucian observed. I looked over at him and shrugged. "It's just university. It's not like we're going to the moon," I responded. Nathan chuckled, finding my perspective amusing.

"I'm kind of nervous to be honest," I truthfully admitted. "You know... meeting new people and interacting with them."

"It's ok. You'll be ok," Nathan reassuringly said. I hoped so. I really hoped so.

I was different from my friends. Very different. They were werewolves and I was human. They all had pretty fair skin which was a stark contrast to my rich dark complexion. Their hair was quite conventional and mine was rather unique. I had white curly hair. A striking shade like the icy snow that fell in the winter. And interestingly enough, it was just the hair on my head that was white. My eyebrows were a dark brown, same thing with my eyelashes and the hair on my arms, legs, and everywhere else. My eyes were also a rare light grey.

Throughout my childhood, I had been bullied. Boys would call me ugly and say that I looked like an alien. They knew better than to not do it in front of my friends, but whenever I was alone, they would find some way or another to poke fun at me.

Towards my sophomore year in highschool, the bullying had stopped. Mostly because Nathan started to work out so he could quite literally kill someone if they hurt me. But going to university would mean starting all over again and I wasn't so sure that I was ready for that. After all, Nathan wouldn't be by my side all the time. And neither would Saphira. We would all have our own schedules and responsibilities. 

"Come on, let's go find Leilani some shoes," Blaike said before we began to pack up.

He was the leader of the group. Perhaps it was because he was the oldest. At twenty-one years of age he had quite the humour that could brighten anyone's day. He also enjoyed reading books and spending quality time with the younger ones in our pack. Sometimes he could be rough with his words. It was almost as if he had a hard time thinking before speaking. Needless to say, he was a very caring person. He was always there when you needed him. You could always count on Blaike.