XXXV

I came along for the ride
Went wicked with the clutch
Happened so fast and it hurt so much
You're a car crash
And I can't look away
I should have known by now
~ Three Days Grace, Car Crash

"How was your night out?" Erik asks from across the table of the little coffee shop he has been telling me all week about.

"Great, Scar had a lot of fun dancing." I adjust the hat on my head in the hopes that he can't detect the nervousness in my movements. The constant movement of my fingers and brushing of my hair.

"That's good, did she meet anyone last night?"

Do I lie and say she didn't or do I say she did?

"We met up with a couple of her friends." I rip a piece from my croissant and shove the buttery pastry into my mouth.

Please, no more questions.

"So what are we doing for Halloween tonight?" Erik takes a drink of his black coffee with a smirk on his lips, "you forgot, didn't you?"

"No, I did not." Yes, I totally did.

"We have enough time to get a costume before hitting up a club tonight." Erik shrugs like it's no big deal.

"But I missed out on all the other Halloween things like haunted houses and cute pumpkin photos not to mention decorating," I whine, setting down my coffee.

How did I forget about this? This is my favourite time of the year and I totally forgot about it.

Where were all the signs when we were touring like the decor in stores, and the pumpkin flavours, or even the cheesy commercials for costumes?

"Would you calm down? It's not a big deal, we can and try to make up for the lack of Halloween. We have a day off and it's only 9. We can start by getting pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks." Erik takes the cups and plates back into the cafe before meeting me beside the street.

We find the closest Starbucks and luckily they have pumpkin spice.

"Okay, where to next?" Erik asks me as I lick the whipped cream off the top of the drink, "you have whip cream on your nose."

I wipe my nose before answering him, "we need to get pumpkins. Marcus and I used to compete to see who would have the better jack-o-lantern, that's how I ended up with the scar on my thumb."

"I think we are going have to visit a supermarket for pumpkins, we won't have time to go outside of the city to the patches, but we can get apples and candy while we are there." Erik takes my hand as we leave Starbucks and waves down a cab.

I giggle as we climb in the back with our pumpkin spice lattes dressed for beach weather.

"What?" Erik gives me a puzzled look.

"Nothing, I'm just enjoying this right now. This whole 'let's do as many Halloween activities as we can within a day' thing." I smile at Erik as the cab lurches forward and into the LA traffic.

"I enjoy spending time with you, Ray." The rest of the cab ride is silent until the car rolls up to a farm not far from the city, with a large wooden sign reading Halloween Town.

"I thought we were going to a market?" I question as we climb out after paying the taxi driver.

"I found this when I was surfing the web for ideas for today. They have a corn maze, pumpkin patch, a bakery and market along with a haunted house." I go on my tippy toes in my Vans and give Erik a kiss on the cheek.

"I am so excited, I don't think you realize right now. This is better than Christmas." I bounce on my heels as I take Erik's hand and drag him towards the corn maze.

"I swear Ray, if we get lost, I'm leaving you."

"How romantic." I roll my eyes at him but the smile on his face says he would never leave me.

I hope that's true because I feel myself falling for this man a little more every day.

--

"Erik I'm so tired," I mumble as I collapse on the couch after setting the bags down on the coffee table.

I reach for a throw pillow and rest my head on it. And they said we didn't need throw pillows.

"We have time for you to take a nap before we need to get ready to go out. I'm going to let the guys know the plan for tonight." I wave my hand at him and curl up more.

We ended up getting lost like we predicted would happen, but Erik didn't leave me like he said he would, nor did he leave me behind in the haunted house when I was screaming and terrified. He stuck by my side and kept pushing me through.

Usually, I would have never gone into one, but I felt like I needed to when I was with him, that I needed to try this.

"Avril, are you here?" I hear the door slam open and the sound of Scarlett's voice.

Oh for fuck's sake.

One day is all I'm asking for.

One day the hurricane Scarlett doesn't appear.

"What do you want?" I push myself onto my forearms to look at her as she stands at the other end of the couch.

"I need help picking a costume for tonight, especially since I invited Adam."

"Are you fucking kidding me Scar?" I swear this girl doesn't use her brain.

"What?" She asks without a clue on her face.

"Why would you bring Adam? You know that this is going to cause a ton of problems."

"How so?" I stare at her in astonishment.

How wouldn't this cause problems? She's using one of Kyle's friends to get back at him while they are in the middle of their North American tour and Vans Warped Tour is wanting to sign them for the summer not to mention their Record Label is wanting to kick off a European tour next January.

"Whatever, what are your options?" I rub my forehead, already feeling a migraine coming on and here I thought today would be a drama-free day full of Halloween spirit.

Guess I was wrong.

I follow Scar to my bedroom, where two bags sit perched on the end of my bed filled to the brim with different colour fabrics ranging from lace to silk.

"So, I was thinking of being a devil, a cat, or a police officer. I did grab an angel costume but I thought that would be kinda stupid considering we are the Fallen Angels." Scar starts pulling different items from the bags, creating her costumes as she does so.

For now, I think as I watch her, completely oblivious to the damage she is creating right now.

I should have never written that song.

This a disaster, I need to tell Erik no matter how mad he'll be or Scarlett will be.

"I'm definitely thinking devil," I say bitterly, but I don't think she hears me as she scurries out of my room with the costumes in hand to what I assume is the bathroom.

I fall back on the bed with a groan, I need to tell Erik.

I can't be the only one knows this and if I tell any of the rest it might make it worse.

God knows Olivia is no help and James and Frank are completely out of the picture.

"I thought I heard Scarlett?" Erik pokes his head in the doorway looking around my room.

"In the bathroom, she bought a bunch of costumes."

"Of course she did, and let me guess she is modelling them for you." I nod my head at him causing him to laugh, "I remember those days. Good luck with her."

Without another word, he's gone and Scarlett is baring into the room with the skimpiest police officer uniform ever.

"You're gonna insult every female officer ever if you wear that, go change," I mutter, looking at the costume, why would you do that to a profession?

"What about this? Do you think the Devil would treat me like a bad girl?" Scarlett asks with a seductive tone and smile on her face.

It is practically a red lace bodysuit with a short red cape, devil horns and pitchfork.

"You're gonna have all eyes on you."

"Perfect! Now, time to do makeup and hair. Tonight is going to be perfect."

Tonight will definitely be anything but perfect.

Cover by xLovEtoLivEx

Edited by