Chapter 45

The Final Chapter

a/n this might not be your ideal ending but after rewriting this chapter over and over I decided to wrap it up like this. thank you for the journey! 

_________

I wake up pretty groggy and hungover. I chug a glass of water and take two Advils in hopes of curing this feeling. Heading to the roof, I hope the fresh air will help a bit. 

I breathe in the summer air and look at the waking city below. Man, I think I'm going to miss this city. I cannot believe I am a college graduate. It's strange to know that I'll soon be in Cambridge for medical school, though I do have a few months before schooling begins. Honestly, it terrifies the crap out of me since this will be my first real experience away from my family. It took a lot of hard work to get this far and a whole lot of survival instincts. There's nothing like a college experience with death, revenge, old blood feuds, kidnappings, and some studying. 

With the guidance of my mother, we both agreed Cambridge would be the way to go. I expected my father to disapprove of my choice, but he was overly excited. I thought it was strange that he was okay with my decision to fly incredibly far from the entire Family and into a country where we had no Family influence. I would be literally on my own without Family backing. Of course, my suspicions were confirmed when my father skipped into my room the next day announcing he would be "coincidentally" working traveling to the London location for a little bit for business.

Then, my mother sighed at his rash decision and gave him an earful. My father finally told me he works with intelligence agencies in the US and has connections/affiliations with the UK, Australia, China, and Canada. His previous stint with the CIA ended after he arrested Lucian. Yet, he's still the head of the recruitment and training of special individuals...globally? 

All I can say is that my dad is forever a badass. 

"What you thinking so hard about, kiddo?" Dante pops out of nowhere. I jump a little in surprise at his sudden presence. He still manages to move so stealthily for an old guy.

"Did you just think about how well I move for someone my age? I'm still young." He frowns but reads my mind.

"How did I read your mind?" He laughs a little before I manage to say anything.

"You and your mom are just so easy to read. It's like it's written in fat letters on your face."

"Damn...you didn't have to say it so roughly." I grimace. 

"Sorry kid, but it's also one of your redeeming qualities." He musses my already messy hair. Unlike me, he looks like he got up and freshened up. His hair blows softly in the light air as opposed to my bird's nest. 

"What's got your eyebrows scrunched up?" He peers at me.

"Just thinking about the future..." I sigh.

"Yeah...time flies. It seems like you were just a little baby and Celeste was just born." His eyes sadden as he must be thinking about his late wife. 

"Uncle Dante..." I pat his shoulder.

"I should be the one consoling you, you nugget." He laughs suddenly. "It's just crazy how time flies so quickly. You're a young lady and off to be a big-shot doctor. You and your mom have the smart genes. Same with Robin. Y'all all took the intelligence away from your old uncle." He jokes lightly.

He sees that I'm still worried about him. All I know is that Celeste's mother was killed in action. Dante really loved her and hasn't quite moved on. He still wears their wedding rings on a chain around his neck. I also try not to pry. 

"I'll be fine. I'm tough." He smiles once more. "You just tend to learn a lot throughout the years. You'll learn about love, loss, hate, and much more. It's part of growing up. There's really nothing you can do to change it but that's why you have us. Our family can only shelter and protect you for so long but we will always be right by your side if you need us. 

"Chi si volta, e chi si gira, sempre a casa va finire...No matter where you go or turn, you'll always end up at home." He takes a cigar out and lights it. It's been a while since I've seen him smoke. He pauses, "Probably not good for my health, right Miss Future Doctor?" 

I merely shake my head and laugh lightly. "Love you, Uncle Dante." I give him a big hug.

"More than your other uncles, right?" He whispers competitively.

I roll my eyes. "I love all of you equally. You have all my attentions." 

"And here I thought I was the favorite," he sighs but a smile tugs at his lips. 

A faint aroma of food wafts in the air. "Smells like Tony's cooking for breakfast today. You head down first and I shall join you later." 

I let him be for a bit. It seems like he also came up here to escape from reality. I head downstairs and look back once more to see the silhouette of his figure staring at the sunrise.

As soon as I approach the kitchen, everything seems to pick up. I hear the twins hollering at some stupid joke. Then, there's Marco and Robin playfully bickering about a random topic. Tony and his wife Ariana cook busily at the kitchen as Lia helps set up the table. Celeste casually sits on the couch conversing with our cousins Enzo and Roman. Then, I see my mom and Pearl on another couch laughing lightly about another topic. I pause when I see my mom and Pearl glowing as if they had a full night's rest and didn't drink more the whole of us combined. I see Leo and his wife Ariana leaning on the kitchen island looking like they are also feeling the aftereffects of a night of drinking. I see some of us are still human.

I help Lia with the dishes and place them gently on the dining table. Everyone gathers and we sit around the full table.

"Buon appetito!" Tony raises a glass of red wine. 

"That can't be wine, right? It's 8 in the morning..." My uncle Leo visibly cringes from the thought of drinking another glass. I now see why he never drinks anymore. He visibly loosens up and isn't as heavy as the others. 

"It's cranberry juice. There's also pomegranate if you're craving that too." Tony shrugs. "Even I'm not fully recovered from yesterday's drinking. That's why I prepared some special foods to help with the hangovers....except my darling sister who has the liver of a baby." He rolls his eyes playfully at my mother. 

She beams,"Buon appetito!" I can't tell if she's drinking red wine or not when she raises her glass.

All of us laugh together as we raise our glasses. I sit back and enjoy the scene with my family. It's been an eventful time but in the end, we are all bounded together through blood and sweat. Though I don't know what the future holds, I'm glad to see that we are all supporting each other in the end. 

We have faced loss, but we have each other to help us through the pain. 

The Ricca Family still remain strong regardless of those who get in our away.     

___

A/N

One day I will come back and edit this story. This story was a lot rougher around the edges than the first Nerd in Disguise, but it's okay. I hope you still enjoyed this chapter. It took longer than I expected. Anyways, it's completed. Thank you for reading and being patient with me! 

Love always,

Lystra <3