54 | CRIMSON |

AS THE TWO SIDES RACED TOWARD EACH OTHER, Rory turned to Jasper with devastation in her eyes

AS THE TWO SIDES RACED TOWARD EACH OTHER, Rory turned to Jasper with devastation in her eyes. This wasn't meant to happen. Alice looked beyond horrified, feeling guilty she had not foreseen Aro's decision—she had really hoped he would fall for her fake vision.

Rory had one last backup plan, her failsafe if everything else went to shit. To give herself up to the Volturi and stop the battle before too many lives were lost. She would sacrifice herself for her family. She was always meant to.

Before she could say her last goodbye, Jasper shook his head. He would not lose her. He grabbed her hands, pulling her back one more time, sending her a flash of all his love for her—every feeling, every emotion he had ever felt because of Rory, for Rory, he gave it all to her, filling her up with the light of his heart.

"This isn't just about you anymore, sweetheart. This is the endgame now," Jasper held her face gently, knowing they only had no time to lose, he kissed her deeply before whirling around to punch a vampire who had approached them.

It seemed to work, she faltered, hesitant to follow through. And like always, Jasper was right. This wasn't about her. This was about no longer being controlled by a despot no vampire had agreed to. No one controlled Rory, least of all an antique that should have been long burned. This was about being free to follow her heart, whatever everyone's hearts desired. This was about Renesmee, about Jacob, Bella, all of them who stood against the Volturi. This was about love.

Fueled by the reminder of what exactly she was fighting for, Rory took a deep, calming breath. "Then we'll show them how to play," she nodded at him as they were separated. She wouldn't give up yet.

Jasper went to help Alice from a pair of lower guards trying to apprehend her while Rory ran around the crowd. She had to make sure Renesmee and Jacob escaped, heading for the the direction a few Volturi guards had been dispatched to follow after them. As she raced toward Santiago and Demetri, Rory spotted a hesitant Nahuel and Huilen and adjusted her course slightly.

"Nahuel, Huilen—you should leave now," Rory said them as soon as she neared them, pointing to a clear path for them to take. "I'll give you a chance and keep them from going after you as well."

She had promised they would not be harmed and she intended to protect them with all her might. Huilen nodded, a little angry by the turn of events, and turned to run in the clear route, however, Nahuel shook his head, surprising both his aunt and Rory.

"No, I will fight, too," he declared, glancing once in the direction the giant wolf and little girl had run. Nahuel looked past Rory at the approaching forces, "If not for my right to live, then for the little one's. We all deserve to be free."