saying goodbye is the hardest part

Lee grinned as the last word was etched into the parchment before her.

The last word of the paper. The last word of the test. The last word written as a Hogwarts student.

Finishing her final N.E.W.T. was a huge relief. Now Lee could start being an actual person. She didn't have any big plans. But now she could do anything.

_______

"As I look out at all of your faces, remembering those little children that stepped foot in this wonderous place, I feel pride," Dumbledore stood in front of the graduating class. "I have had the absolute pleasure of watching each and everyone of you grow up and become the witch or wizard you are today. You learned and I do hope you had a little fun along the way.

"So, as I send you on your way to the next great tomorrow, I wish you the best of luck. I cannot wait to see how you will change the world for the better."

Dumbledore gave a genuine smile. Lee would miss this man. He was like the grandfather of Hogwarts. He knew when to be strict but could also joke when needed. He was genuine.

Lee wiped at her cheeks, finding them dry. She never cried in public. Just on the inside.

The girls around her, however, were not holding back. There were streams of tears to gasping sobs. Lee definitely wouldn't miss that.

Lee's eyes scanned across the people she knew for seven while years. It was crazy. She knew everybody. Did that make her popular?

Popularity never seemed to be a big deal at Hogwarts. Not like it was in muggle schools. At Hogwarts everyone was just who they were. There were some 'weird' kids who didn't quite fit in, but they always seemed content. And very rarely were children bullied.

But that wasn't an indicator of Lee's popularity. Did other students know everyone else? Could they say that they've had a significant conversation with every kid at least once?

Lee had never realized how much of a social butterfly she really was. She always thought she was more introverted with a reckless track of partying.

She wasn't.

Lee liked to talk to people. She enjoyed conversations. She liked being able to talk to someone and it mean something.

She wasn't the kind of person  who could stay quiet for hours on end. Not like Percy could. Lee needed people. More than she would have liked.

She looked st her class once again, a sad smile taking her face. Some of these people she would never see again. Some of these people were going to settle down in a few years. Some were going to start a family. Start their lives.

It was all very daunting for a girl who only vaguely knew what she wanted to do for the rest of her life.

Each seventh year got up one by one to collect their certificate confirming graduation. Lee smiled as Professor Sprout handed her the parchment.

"I'll miss you, I hope you know that," Lee told the elderly woman.

"I know dear, I am sad to see you go," Sprout had tears in her eyes. She always was a more emotional professor.

"Goodbyes are never forever, I'll see you soon," Lee forced her own tears back into her eye.

Lee sat back down and waited for Percy to walk up. She watched him nervously clench his fists as he walked forwards. He happily accepted his certificate no sadness on his face. He was so excited. It was adorable.