Chapter 1

"Rowan?" my roommate interrupted me as I studied at my desk in our dorm, something I rarely did. I was usually too busy for studying, even though that was supposed to be the reason why I was going to this college anyway, so I could study and get an education. Needless to say, I wasn't expecting my shy, soft spoken roommate to interrupt me.

"What is it, Liz?" I answered her, encouraging her to continue even as I studied. The assignment for my Psychology class was due tomorrow, and I was only halfway finished. It was already 9 o'clock at night, and I had a test in the morning. 

"I was thinking, well--" she cut herself off, and I forced myself to stop working and turn to her to pay full attention to her as she spoke. 

"What is it?" I said again as she looked down at her feet, not continuing.

"Well, I was wondering if you could move out of the dorm," she finished in a quiet voice. I was so shocked by what she said that I almost asked her to repeat herself, but I knew what she had said. She was kicking me out. Shy, sweet Elizabeth Mallory was kicking me out.

"Why is that?" I asked in a bored tone. To be honest, I wasn't completely surprised that she was asking such a question. I wasn't the best roommate.

"Well, nearly every night, you bring some man into the dorm. The noises you guys make keeps me up at night, and I hardly get any studying done. I need to focus on my studies, Rowan, and the way you act makes it very difficult for me. I rent this apartment, and I deserve at least that," she said firmly, but in a rush, like she had spent a lot of time preparing what to say to me, but it all came out rapidly and in a flurry of words I was only half following.

"I understand," I answer her, nodding. I could see why my lifestyle choices were bothering her, and she was right. She did deserve to have a place to sleep and study, at least. "I'll stop it. Thank you for telling me your feelings," I told her, offering her one of my rare smiles and turning back to my desk. It wasn't another ten seconds before I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Rowan, I'm serious about this," she said in a gentle tone. "I've talked to you about this before, and I really need you to move out. Whenever we talk, it lasts for a few days, but then you go right back to bringing more men through the apartment. Your lease is up at the end of the month, since you signed yours four months ago. Please, Rowan. Find somewhere else."

I furrowed my eyebrows, trying to think of something that would make us both happy. "Liz, I can't just move out. The end of the month is in five days. I still rented this dorm. I can't just find somewhere else to live in five days," I said, telling her my point of view. 

"I found a flyer on a bulletin board today in the cafeteria," she said, handing me the flyer. "Here. Read it. It sounds nice, it's even cheaper than the rent here, and it's only a little ways away from here and the dorms."

Furrowing my eyebrows, I actually took the purple flyer from her hands to read it. I couldn't believe I was actually considering it, but I knew it wasn't fair to expect Liz to deal with my lifestyle. She was right. I had guys parading into the apartment all the time, and I imagine that the noises from my room at night got irritating. Perhaps the girl on the flyer looking for a roommate would be okay with it, or better yet, maybe she was rarely at the apartment and was looking for a roommate because she rarely used it. If anything, it could be a temporary condition until I found a place of my own. But that was if the place was even decent to live in.

Wanted:

Roommate

Rent is $260 per month

Contact L. Emerson at (612)-289-3521 for more information

That was all the flyer said on it. It didn't give a lot of information, making me think that the apartment was probably sketchy. "I'll give it a try," I told her, turning back to my work on my desk. "But if I end up a pile of flesh and bones in a dumpster in an alley, remember that it was you who gave me this idea," I said jokingly, but it fell flat.