Chapter Five | First World

[ 5 ]

Lifting his head, ShuNing's eyes met with XeLeaders'. A thing many were afraid to do, but instead he confidently lifted himself from the stooped bow and sat back on his haunches. He inclined his head once, "Greeting XeLeader, I am Shu Ning."

Even though the spectators had already guessed the boy's identity, they were still taken aback by his words. Before arriving, everyone had heard of the situation, and couldn't go anywhere without hearing the vile rumours that followed his name. But as they stood there, looking at the child who portrayed the proper etiquette and spoke as well as any other, it was hard to imagine it was him they were here to see get punished.

The one who showed most of a reaction, was the heavily dolled-up middle-aged woman with sharp features which were contorted unattractively, who happened to sit alongside the XeLeader, albeit in a much smaller chair. XeWife had never herself seen the face of the boy she had intended to have killed, so she was taken by surprise when his appearance didn't match her intel.

The last she heard, he could barely stand, so how was it that he had arrived without any signs of having broken a sweat. Under her long exaggerated sleeves, her fists clenched, her long talon-like nails, that had been painted red, dug into her palm. How she desired to squash the little roach in front of her.

As well as clipping the wings of two birds, she intended to use ShuNing as a beacon. This is why she made sure the favoured concubines were present, to bare witness to her husbands ruthlessness, even when it comes to his own flesh and blood. XeWife wanted the little whores to know that even though they have pretty little faces, and were plump with his babies, that they were in no way safe.

But when she looked to her right hand side, and clocked her husband looking mildly interested, she was far from impressed as this was not what she had planned.

"Stand." XeLeader instructed, wafting a hand to imitate his meaning.

And so he did. Even though ShuNing's stomach churned with nerves from seeing everyone staring solely at him, he masked it well. He knew, more than anything in this situation, that he had to appear strong. If he didn't, it would be like baring his throat to the wolves.

With everyone in place, XeLeader raised his right arm and clicked his thumb and forefinger together. Immediately a man, who had similar features to ChuntaoLing with his long grey hair and natural frown, stepped forward with his hands clasped in front of him.

"Do you understand why you have been brought here?"

ShuNing didn't recognise the man, not even from sifting through old memories, but if he had to guess, this man would likely be one of XeLeader's few advisors. Potentially one who would still lend an ear to the Chuntao family.

"I have a hunch, respectable elder."

The well-informed older man seemed impressed by the younger's manners. Seeing as the same man spent most of his time in this very building, surrounded by XeLeader's favourite children, he had to grit and bare their horrifically spoilt attitudes. So this was rather refreshing to say the least.

"Very well, but out of formality I shall relay the situation to everyone present, as well as our XeLeader, who will ultimately make the final verdict."

ShuNing had no qualms with this dragging on, after all, he had to stall until a certain person showed up anyway. Although he was confident, he tried not to worry about the finer details. Because in the midst of this, he had to make a good impression on XeLeader. Reluctantly, he was going to have to seek permission for some aspects of his plan in the future.