Out the Window

Neither of them said anything and the silence in the small room could be cut with a knife. If it was not so serious, Seren would have laughed at the situation. The biggest alpha she had ever seen, acting all macho, stealing her from the other pack, growling and angry, now mated to not just a submissive and weak female, but a rogue, the thing he despised most!

The thought of rejecting him crossed her mind, but before she could begin to weigh her options, she saw him crouch again out of the corner of her eye and tensed up. She glanced at him, seeing his elbows resting on his knees, his long fingers curling into loose fists and out again, his shoulders hunched forward as he tried to decide what to do. Seren saw the tattoo that covered most of his left arm and pec like black fire, making him seem even more daunting. One hand went to the waistband of his jeans and pulled out a knife, flicking the blade open with a click. 

Seren's eyes went wide and she tried to scoot away, thrashing and crying. Fear filled the air. He was gong to kill her! He didn't want anyone to find out about their bond and had to get rid of her. Her panicked eyes met his again in terror and disbelief and she saw the grimace of sadness he wore. She did not know it, but the fact that she thought he was going to hurt her was agonizing to him. He couldn't believe how he had treated her. If he had only known...

"Shh shh shh," he whispered, extending his large hand. 

She flinched away, trying to keep her foreleg out of reach, yelping when he took it. Fire raced up her arm, into her chest and made her pulse even quicker if that was possible. Liam's already gentle grip softened, afraid he was hurting her, but in a swift movement he had already cut the zip-tie away and then the one from her back legs. She did not move whatsoever.

"I...I'll be right back," he murmered, his voice now calm and somewhat strained. Seren craved his touch upon her again and was ashamed of it. She listened to him stand and waited for the door to shut before she leapt to her feet and shifted. Without hesitating, she grabbed the metal shelving rack and pulled herself up to the top, ignoring her bleeding shoulder. She had to get out before her traitorous body made her do something stupid, like accept him as her mate.

To her great surprise, there was a latch at the bottom of the window, rusted, but it moved when she desperately slammed the heel of her hand against it. She needed to get out, now, before he came back in and saw her naked and precariously attached to a shelf. It was an old fashioned window that only pushed open so far, just to let a draft in. Seren held her breath and put an arm out into the grass, digging her fingers down into the dirt so she could painfully drag herself forward. She felt the frame of the window scrape mercilously over her shoulders, but the adrenaline numbed it somewhat and she forced her hips through, clawing her way into the yard like a zombie coming out of a hole.

She prayed that no one could see and shifted back to her wolf with a gasp, pulling her hind legs through. With her good foreleg, she pressed the window shut, but with blood covering it and the wall around it, she was sure it would be no secret what had happened. Seren slunk along the side of the house, seeing nobody, heading toward the back where Derrick had carried her in, where there had been fewer people. Staying low to the ground, she crawled behind a hedge and worked her way to the parking lot, the woods on the other side. 

Her ears swiveled back as she heard a roar coming from the basement. Shouting took up and Seren knew they had realized she was gone. She looked to the treeline. If she tried to run, they would easily be able to chase her down within seconds and this was their land, they knew it far better than she did. 

A familiar scent caught her attention. Max? She didn't see him, but then realized that she was right next to his truck, parked sideways by the back steps as though he planned to come back out any second. Swallowing nervously, she leapt into the bed and forced herself under a pile of tarp, curling into the corner next to a gas can. If she couldn't get away on her own two...four...feet, she could do the next best thing, let someone unknowingly drive her to the town.