MTM.4

the celebration of blue raspberry

Fumbling with the clear wrapper, I pulled at both ends of the twisted paper until it unravelled to reveal a lime green orb of green apple flavoured goodness.

Popping the hard candy into my mouth, I could hear Viviana's heels clicking against the sidewalk as she walked away from me and headed towards her own home, which was the opposite of where I was going.

With our backs to each other, I began moving forward. I shoved both of my hands into my front hoodie pocket, fiddling with my trusty lighter that was covered in mini ice-creams and had faces on them. Though, that bit was mainly for the aesthetic. I stared down at the path ahead of me, and continued to kick away any rocks that were standing in my way.

I wasn't paying much attention to where I was going, but rather watching my feet push forward and hit the ground. However, I wish I did, because someone's shoulder slammed hard into mine and sent me flying backwards. I winced at the impact.

"Watch it, human," the man passing me spat, glaring as he towered over my much shorter body—making me feel smaller than I already was.

"S-sorry," I mumbled, knowing very well that he could hear me. I staggered as I tried getting up from the side of a random shop wall, ignoring the pain in my lower back from hitting it against a rebel brick that was sticking out. Now, my back felt even worse. And, my ego was definitely suffering.

All the man did was scoff in response as he continued stomping down the sidewalk, his hands shoved into his coat pockets and his dirty blond hair long enough for the wind to blow through it. He glanced back for just a moment, I watched as he sneered down at me and I couldn't help but notice how his amber eyes darkened.

A werewolf who seemed too at odds with us humans. They weren't all like that one, but the same could be said for humans like me—like my father.

Turning away from him, I began walking at my normal speed, a rather slow, jogging pace.

The shops soon disappeared completely, with the last few being blocks away from the other buildings as the small shops began separating from each other. Soon enough, I was walking on the familiar dirt path with thick trees at my sides, being entirely engulfed by one of the many forested areas. The smell of pine interrupted my senses, as well as the lingering feeling of being watched. Going up my empty driveway, I shook my head at the lack of a parked car, and convinced myself that I was acting paranoid.

Unlocking my front door, I pushed it open easily and effortlessly. The lock seemed to barely work these days, and neither one of us had gotten around to fixing it. I entered my empty house with an ache filling the bottom of my gut. The sound of the TV hit my twitching ears instantly, and I was able to hear new voices, speaking and laughing alike.

Heading into my kitchen, the feeling of loneliness filled me at the sight of the handwritten note on the fridge. And, as I looked back through another doorway entrance, one that was connected to the open living room, I could see the clear, empty bottle of alcohol sitting on top of the coffee table.

Reading the note aloud, muttering each word that crossed my attention, "Gone out with friends for the night, love Dad."

More like drinking buddies, I thought bitterly, ripping the note off the fridge, crushing it into a ball and tossing it into the near garbage can. A petty version of myself craved to write up a nasty text, spinning my anger into sentences, and telling him that his friends could wait until tomorrow. It was his daughter's twentieth birthday, after all.