Chapter 1: Ambition

BEFORE YOU READ! I use the word Pale semi-often in this book because the Reader is sick or terribly injured most of the time. I don't use that word to suggest or say that the 'Reader' is white. Therefore, please do not take offense if you have skin of color to my choice of words.

If you leave a comment saying that I am wrong to use that word or that I'm racist, you will be blocked on the spot.

It's been hours of drowning lectures and more and lectures on top of it. You began to wonder why so many lectures were necessary just for one exam. The entrance exam that was. You see, these lectures were here to prepare striving young adults of whom wanted to become pro heros, just like you, by telling you what to expect at the entrance exams. All of this just to get accepted into U.A. This year, you have to destroy robots and earn enough points to get accepted into the Hero Program to the school that everyone dreams of attending.

Everyone has a reason for wanting to become a pro hero. For some, they want to become a pro hero just like their parents or maybe because they truly looked up to other pro heros like All Might the number one hero, or Endeavor the runner up hero who has a fire quirk, or Best Jeanist the sophisticated fiber pro hero just to name a few. Other people want to become a pro hero just for the fame, glory, and wealth. Some others become a pro hero because a hero saved them as a child or a tragic event has happened then the student wants to help others avoid that fate just like him or her.

And then there was you.

You didn't fit into any of these categories. You didn't want fame, glory, or wealth. You didn't look up to another hero nor has anything tragic has happened to you either. All you wanted was recognition from your single father and a few friends. Growing up without a mother figure was hard enough, but your father was always working to get the bills paid and food in your stomach. Easy enough to say, he was rarely around. You highly appreciated his efforts to keep you alive and well, but all you really wanted was time with him. You can't even remember the last time you both talked or ate a meal together. So you came to the conclusion that if you were to get accepted into U.A, maybe your father would recognize you and finally spend time with you like you had dreamed all your life.

And that's how you ended up in a room with about a thousand other teenagers surrounding the pro hero Present Mic. He was an eccentric hero whose voice could be projected for miles and miles to come. He explained the dos and don'ts of the entrance exam and how much each robot counted for towards your overall score. You half listened to his babbling meanwhile nearly every student in the auditorium was nose deep in their note taking with the distant sounds of their pens and pencils scratching against the pages of their notebooks as the background noise. A weight was placed in your stomach, for hours now they were taking notes meanwhile you hadn't scribbled one word on your own.

There's no way that I'll make it into U.A at this rate...

Or so that's what you assumed. The day of the Entrance Exam came and went. You showed up, destroyed robots, and left. Easy enough right? That's when the letter arrived.

You yawned scratching your head after stepping out of your bedroom bright and early in the morning. Your worn out plaid pajama pants loosely hugged your waistline with the striped band of your panties just barely peeking out above them. The tank top that covered your top half, the strap hung off your shoulder and hair all in disarray. This was the normal, nobody could judge you and not like anybody was to see you at seven in the morning right? So you trudged on out of your bedroom to make way for the dining room to make yourself a bowl of cereal for breakfast. Upon stepping into the dining room, the glimmer of a pristine white envelope sat upon the small round walnut table. The letter stood out like the moon on a summer's night. Curiosity got the better of you as your fingers clamped down on the envelope and brought it to your eyes. Printed on the face of the envelope in black computer ink was your name and address. In the corner said the return address. U. A. Your heart skipped a beat, you didn't waste another second to rip the envelope in two for a round object to drop onto the table. Immediately, the face of the round object lit up and before you knew it, there was a white screen floating in the air. A Hologram!

"Hello there!" Exclaimed this mouse creature that appeared on the screen. He was so cute! His voice was sophisticated, he wore a suit while sipping on a cup of tea where steam wavered from the lip of the porcelain cup. "My name is Nezu, I am the Principal of U. A. I am here to congratulate you (Y/n) for being accepted into this school of dreams in our Hero Program!" You squealed in excitement, doing a little dance. "You have been accepted into my school based on recommendations from one anonymous pro hero who works within this establishment," and you stopped immediately, as if frozen in time. "(Y/n)... You have unfortunately failed the field exam but many of our teachers saw much potential and just had to have you attend our school. So please drop by U. A. before the start of the new school year in September to pick up your schedule and uniform. Once again, Congrats (Y/n)!" And the hologram disappeared before your eyes. You were still so astonished, no words formed... It took quite a while for you to gain the power to speak.

"I failed..." You sighed. "I was accepted out of pity... Watch it dad knew about this, and that's why he isn't home to congratulate me..."

Despite all that, you waited for the first day of school and attended your first day at U. A. It was nerve racking walking through the hallways of this school of dreams. Everyone wore the same uniforms. Grey and boring. But imagine if you were given the choice to wear whatever you wanted to school. There'd be flashy hero uniforms all over the place! So in the end this uniform was for the best, even though you highly disliked mini skirts but oh well. You gotta adapt right? So you continued your stroll all the way to your first ever class.

Only to be face to face with the teacher who's eyes were red like rubies and raven hair floated high above his head. "You're late..." The teacher growled, half of the classroom erupted into an outburst of laughter at your one mistake.

Your cheeks flushed red like a tomato. "Wh-what? I thought I was on time," you stuttered against your will.

"No... You're ten minutes late," the teacher points out, and you were now mentally dying out of embarrassment. "Take your seat behind Bakugo Miss (Y/n)," your teacher stepped off to the side to finally allow you into the classroom. Immediately, tears pricked the corners of your eyes and hands shaked violently as you made way for the one empty desk behind a blonde male. Some noticed your progressing anxiety attack and respectfully went silent.

What's so funny about me being late on the first day? There goes my chances of making any friends...