Chapter 31

The summer passed all too quickly for my liking. Before I knew what had happened, I'd wasted away the summer with my friends and I was staring another school year in the face. But, first, I had to get through an even more traumatic experience than my senior year: Bella and Edward's wedding.

"Allie, come on," Dad yelled for me from downstairs. I double checked my curls and my makeup. I glanced over my maroon lace dress and black heels. I decided that I looked good enough for Bella's wedding. I mean, I'm not in the wedding party, so I don't care if I look perfect. Heck, I wasn't invited to get ready with them, so there was no competing with them.

"Coming," I responded, getting up from my vanity and heading down the stairs to where Dad was waiting with Jake and Billy.

"You know, you aren't supposed to look prettier than the bride on her wedding day, right?" Jake asked, causing a blush to form on my cheeks.

"Thanks," I said, kissing his cheek as he grabbed my hand. There was a knock on the door, signalling that Sue and Seth had arrived. Dad went to open the front door and returned a few seconds later with Sue and Seth right behind him.

"Hey Seth," I said, hugging him as he walked in.

"Hey Allie," he said, returning the hug. Sue and my father were talking lowly before they decided we needed to leave or else we'd be late to the wedding.

"Hey, no leaving me alone today. I have no other friends coming to this stupid thing," Seth said.

"Seth," his mother chided. She had heard him from across the room.

"Mom," he groaned.

"Seth," she warned.

"Yes, mother," he agreed causing Jake to scoff at him.

"Jacob," Billy chided.

"What? I didn't do anything," Jake said.

"Jake, stop," I said lowly.

"You wanna start in too, Alessandra?" Dad asked.

"I actually didn't do anything except tell Jake to stop," I said.

"Let's leave before anything else happens," Sue suggested to which we agreed. Seth, Jake, and I headed out and got into Jake's Rabbit. Seth groaned in annoyance as we made him get into the backseat.

"You have the shorter legs, therefore, you should get stuck in the back seat, not me," Seth complained.

"You're the youngest. I have seniority," I said, clicking my seatbelt around me.

"It isn't fair to cramp my long ass legs back here when your hip is literally at like my kneecap," he murmured, but Jake and I both still heard him.

"Seth, shut up or you'll run extra patrols," Jake said. He wasn't Alpha yet, but he might as well be. Sam wants to retire soon so he and Emily can start their family, and technically, Jake should've been Alpha in the first place.

"Ehhh, or not," Seth said, but didn't continue to complain. The car fell silent as Jake drove. The cars stereo system was beyond repair and Jake had yet to put a new one in, so we just sat in silence as Jake headed out of town.

While he was driving, his right hand fell down into my lap. Instantly, I interlaced our fingers and began to draw small patterns on his hand with my fingertips.

"Here we are," Jake said as we he parked the car in front of the Cullen's house. Dad pulled in behind us in Billy's truck, and all six of us got out of the two cars.

Jake's grip tightened on my hand as the one person I was hoping to avoid made her way over to me.