[25]

Three weaks later.

_____

"Aito-kun you cheated!" Cho exclaimed, slapping the poor boy across the head.

(Y/N) laughed in amusement. Cho had lost another round of chess against Aito and managed to somehow pin the blame on him at the end of every game.

"I did nothing I swear!" Aito yelped, rubbing the back of his head.

Cho mumbled under her breath, pouting childishly. Even though they were dating they still acted like regular best friends, which was better this way since (Y/N) never felt like a third wheel when she was with her best friends.

This was their fifth visit in the past three weeks. This time instead of all those salad and nutritious food they usually brought, they came over with two boxes of large pizza, sushi and rice crackers to cheer (Y/N) up and also to celebrate her healing. It had been weeks since the attempt to rescue Kaneki, and (Y/N) was healing well. Her legs barely hurt, all that was left was a fading scar that would be gone in a few weeks at the least. Her face still had a few stitches and scratches but they would be gone in a few days.

They were all seated on (Y/N)'s bed. Aito and Cho playing chess while (Y/N) sat down closest to the window, munching on rice crackers as she watched the two bicker amongst each other during the game. It was an amusing sight.

She hadn't seen them in what felt like ages. They came at the right time, as usual, they're presence took her mind away from thinking about Ayato. About how far away he had gone from her reach. Then there was Kaneki. The sweet, innocent kind human that never deserved this. She still felt goosebumps when she had flashbacks. The look in his once warm and gentle grey eyes was gone, all that was left was . . . Nothing. Just a void emptiness that made her heart clench. If you looked hard enough, you could catch a barely visible shadow of his former self. But it would be gone in an instant.

"Hey (Y/N)-chan." Cho snapped her fingers in front of (Y/N)'s face, causing her to divert her attention away from her train of thoughts and towards her beautiful pink haired friend. She blinked. Cho had obviously been the lucky one between the two. She had large green eyes, smooth white creamy skin tone and an amazing hourglass figure.

"Y-yeah? Sorry, I was just--"

"--in (Y/N) world, I know sweetie. I was just saying that mum called, she's waiting downstairs for me so I gotta go." Cho explained as she grabbed her bag.

(Y/N) pouted. "So soon."

Cho shrugged with a deflated look. "I know right. I love you though, get well soon. I'll see you later." She pecked (Y/N)'s forehead and gave Aito a quick peck on the cheeks and then the lips.

As soon as Cho left Aito turned to (Y/N), fixing her with a spill-it look.

"What?" (Y/N) asked, shoving a handful of rice crackers into her mouth. She cursed herself for not being able to cover up so well around Aito.

"You're not gonna tell me what's bothering you?" Aito asked, grabbing a slice of pizza. (Y/N) watched the cheese stretch as he pulled the slice out.

She shrugged. "Nothing-nothing is doing the bothering."

Aito gave her a long pointed look. "You know, when you get nervous and start lying around me you jumble your words around."

(Y/N) facepalmed. "I-I meant to say, nothing's bothering me." She grumbled.

"Well? What is it (Y/N)-chan?" Aito asked.

(Y/N) stared at Aito. If anyone would understand it would be Aito. Even though he hated Ayato's guts, he knew just the right words to say for any given situation.