sixty-six

66

VIOLA BENJAMIN

"HOW DARE YOU WASTE those perfectly good fries! What did they ever do to you?" Viola feigns anger as Ben continues to swiftly throw the fried potato chip at her face, laughing boisterously

"HOW DARE YOU WASTE those perfectly good fries! What did they ever do to you?" Viola feigns anger as Ben continues to swiftly throw the fried potato chip at her face, laughing boisterously. Viola shakes her head, failing to hide the ever so present beaming smile that overthrows her features and betrays her efforts of acting.

"Oh please, like you haven't been eyeing my plate for the last half hour. I was just sending them to their rightful home." A cheeky smile settles into Ben's youthful profile before he chucks yet another chip at Viola's face, an innocence to his actions.

Viola laughs, "I wasn't aware that I ate with my eyeballs." She speaks in a 'duh' tone, wiping the remnants of salt from the soft skin of her face and leaning over to sip the last few mouthfuls from her chocolate milkshake. Ben finally settles his chip throwing fiasco and leans back into the corner of the leather booth seat, a single, toned arm draped over the top.

The quaint diner was dimly lit, casting a glare across the glossy red leather of each four-seater booth that lines the vintage art covered walls of the restaurant. The atmosphere is comfortable, a family or two loitering the back tables and laughing openly and freely while dicking into the mountains of food that is stacked atop their plates.

An older lady with white blonde curly hair scurries towards the table, offering to remove their empty plates and glasses and Viola smiles softly, the familiarity of the women sending her into a reverie of thoughts as she thinks on the nostalgia of the kinds of waitresses from the movie Grease, Viola's all-time favourite film.

She looks back towards the boy across from her, his gaze ever so present on her being as he sits with a soft smile on his face, analysing her deeply. Ben swallows, a breathy chuckle falling from his throat as he picks up his glass and sips on the Coca-Cola through a straw, staring down into the dark drink.

Viola hums, the sound of a soft, melodic song playing from the large stereo at the front of the restaurant and she closes her eyes momentarily, basking in the calming sound. She sighs, staring back towards Ben who was still yet to look anywhere but the girl sitting across from him.

"I've had a lot of fun tonight, thank you." Viola smiles timidly, wringing her hands unconsciously.

Ben leans forward, chewing on his lower lip in an attempt to dissipate the gorgeous smile that never fails to make Viola's knees weak. "No need to thank me, I always want you to be happy."

"We should do this again." Viola grins, learning a fraction forward so their lips are mere inches apart, their breaths mingling and their noses brushing.

Ben sighs softly, the sound low. "I like the sound of that." He places his lips against hers, the kiss soft and gentle, almost as though their lips are still to trying to understand the curve of other another. They pull apart quickly, a dazed expression masking Viola's features.

"And I like you." She says dreamily and Ben rolls his eyes, leaning back into the leather once again,

"It was so much better when I said it." Viola scoffs, reaching over to the scattered plates on the vacant table next to them for a chip and throwing it straight at his flushed face.