THIRTY-ONE

WADE

To my left, the wall was a window and I gazed through it at the movement of people inside the Michigan Police Department. Most of them glanced at me as they passed. I guessed word had gone around of my presence. I had never been inside a police station before- it wasn't as scary as everyone painted it out to be.

The door opened and I gazed at it. A young woman entered the room with a red folder in her hand. She was dressed in grey pants and a blue shirt which was pushed up to her elbows. Her dark hair was pulled into a messy ponytail, hanging loosely at the end. She took a deep breath as she stared at me, trying to hide her nervousness.

"Hello Mr. Steele, I'm- "

"Susan Mathers", I smiled at her, "I know who you are"

She grimaced, "how?"

"I don't usually enter a city without first analyzing my potential enemies", I said in a sly tone.

She studied my face and then bit her lip before opening the folder in her hand, "you say you're the leader of the Californian raiders?"

"I am", I said, "and you're the top officer in this department. An impressive title, I must say", she grinned.

She shook her head and slammed the folder on the desk in front of me. I had managed to give her that confidence I had heard so much about back. She pulled a steel chair which stood on the other side of the desk, back. I cringed at the sound of its legs scratching the concrete floor. She sat and stared at me grimly. I tried to move my hands and place them on the table but I remembered I was handcuffed.

"The Raiders are predominantly active in California", she said, "so why are you here?"

"What can I say? we needed a change of environment", I said, "Michigan is a lovely city. I grew up here, you know"

She squinted her eyes. She was trying to figure me out. "I know but I don't care about all that", she said, "why did you turn yourself in?"

I sighed, "Since you are familiar with the Raiders, I assume you are also familiar with a group known as the Rivals"

"Yes", I nodded, "they are a group of drug dealers also from California", she said, nodding.

"Well, the sick bastards hated me so much that they followed me all the way here and took someone very important to me"

She raised an eyebrow, "so this is all about a gang war?"

"Somewhat"

"Why not deal with it yourself? Why come to the police?", she asked, "why are you here alone? where are the other Raiders?"

"Oh, I let them all go a little vacation", I grinned, "they've been working so hard for the past few months. They deserved a reward"

She rolled her eyes, "And how do I know you're not lying right now?", she asked, "I mean, you did kill a senator's wife eleven months ago and claimed responsibility"

"Someone's been doing her research"

She gave me a bored look. One that reminded me of Bella for a while.

She looked nothing like Bella though.

"You do realize I could send you to jail for a number of crimes right now", she said.

"I do not doubt that Susan", she frowned and I smiled, "but you wont and about the senator's wife, I was simply what I was ordered to do"

"Who paid you to kill her?"

"We could sit here and continue this lovely conversation all day, Susan", I said sarcastically, "or we could go get the Rivals"

"And what makes you think I'll help you?", she asked, "what makes you think I won't have you transferred to where you came from so you can face justice there and rot in jail?"