Duty

The next morning everyone met in the dining hall for breakfast and Sir Colton and Minister Robin were not happy.  

“I want an answer Lord Seoras! How did the aphrodisiac potion get into my wine?”  Minister Robin asked.

“Why don’t you ask Lady Heather how it got there, instead of asking Lord Seoras?”  Emmy spoke up. “It was her maid that poisoned you and Sir Colton. If not for my quick thinking last night, I would not have found the poisoned wine in your rooms.”  

“My maid was also poisoned last night.  She is also a victim!” Heather defended.  

“A victim of a situation or a victim of her own choosing?”  Emmy spoke back.

“What do you mean?”  Sir Colton asked.

“She is a maid after all.  A maid who wanted to grab onto a higher branch. So she poisoned herself to take blame off of herself and direct that blame to someone else.”  

“She is not one who takes advantage of others.”  

“But she is.”  Emmy said. “I know, because she was once my maid.  And when I was at my lowest, she took advantage of me.  Now that she is working in your household, she will do the same to you.”

The whole room quieted down.  Emmy just confessed that the maid, Leevi, once worked for her.  

“Explain yourself, Lady Emmy.”  

Emmy looked at Heather and Heather’s face blushed red with embarrassment and fear.  Heather didn’t want the whole room to know of her misdeeds. If Emmy was to expose her right now, she would have no face to return home.  Her reputation would be ruined.

“I am the Granddaughter of General Light.”  Emmy told them. Her plans were falling into place and now was the time for her to set up more traps.

The whole room became quiet again.  Minister Robin and Sir Colton looked at her in surprise, while Duke Arashi felt relieved that Emmy confessed who she really is, and yet he felt anxious as well.  What was Emmy planning.

“Everyone knows what happened to me.”  Emmy said. “When my Grandfather died during battle, my relatives came and took everything from me and I disappeared. In the Light household, the maid, Leevi, raised me since I was a child however the moment when everything was taken away from me, Leevi betrayed me and went to hold on to a higher branch.”  

“What happened to you?”  Arashi asked.

“What happened to me, doesn’t concern any of you.”  Emmy told them.

The breath that Heather was holding came out with a sigh.  Emmy was not going to expose her. How could she? If Emmy did, she would have to tell everyone that she worked at Cherry Blossom House for so many years.  Not only would Heather’s reputation be destroyed, but Emmy’s reputation as well.

“The maid, Leevi is guilty of her crime.”  Emmy said. “It has nothing to do with Ceco.  She will pay for her crimes against the both of you.”  

Minister Robin and Sir Colton could only be satisfied with Emmy’s decision.  They had no way to argue with her. Besides, they could not make it into a bigger problem because they still wanted to build a trade agreement between Ceco and Igoh.  

Now that they knew that Lady Tomas is actually Lady Emmy Light of Igoh, the daughter of General Light.  They could ask her to speak to Lord Seoras to accept the trade deal between the two countries.

“Lady Emmy,”  Minister Robin said.  “I knew your Grandfather well.  He was a good man and a loyal man.  It was a sad day when he died in battle.  He made great contributions to Igoh and I know he would have wanted Igoh to prosper.”  

“Yes, I too had the luck of meeting General Light.”  Colton said. “He was a good friend of my Grandfather.  I spoke to him a couple of times when he visited my Grandfather.  My Grandfather mourned the day news broke out about General Light’s death.  To this day, my Grandfather mourns General Light’s passing and often thinks about him.”

“You should know the reason why we came here.”  Minister Robin said. “We came here for the purpose of making a trade agreement between Igoh and Ceco.”  

“And?” Emmy asked.  

“And at the moment, we are at an impasse.” Colton spoke up.  “At the moment, Lord Seoras is unwilling to agree to the trade agreement.”

“And?”

“And shouldn’t you speak up on behalf of the country that you were born in.  That your Grandfather fought and died for?” Minister Robin sternly said.

“Why?”   Emmy asked.  

“General Light died for the safety and prosperity of Igoh!”  Minister Robin said. “It was his duty to do so and it is also your duty to serve Igoh!”  

“My duty?  Ha! Don’t make me laugh.”  Emmy said as she sat up. “Why should I speak on behalf of a country that did nothing for me?  My Grandfather served Igoh for so many years. He fought and died for Igoh. And the one precious thing in his life that he wanted to protect, there was no one there to give me a helping hand.”  

Both Minister Robin and Sir Colton could not look at Emmy in the eyes.  

“You say your Grandfather is close with my Grandfather?  Ha! Then why was it that when I need protection the most, he stood to the side and watched as my relatives took everything that my Grandfather earned with his two hands.  Hands that fought for Igoh. Hands that protected Igoh, with a heart of loyalty towards Igoh. Why is it that I was taken advantage of, while everyone looked on? My duty towards Igoh died the day my Grandfather died for Igoh.  Now that I am married to Lord Seoras, my duty is to him. As Lady Tomas, my duty is to Ceco. Any decisions made, is up to my husband. If you are in an impasse, then you can only blame yourself for your lack of ability to convince Lord Seoras to agree to the trade between Igoh and Ceco.”

****A/N:  Just a quick rant, out of the 7 books that I've publish, 6 of them are rated "Mature" meaning 17+.  Anyone younger reading those "Mature" rating books is their prerogative.  I can only do so much by warning my readers of unpleasant scenes/storylines.  Please do not lecture me about warning young people about the content of my books, when it's rated correctly per Wattpad's terms and conditions.    And even then, if the content is upsetting you, then please stop reading my books.  If it triggers you, if it makes you uncomfortable, if it goes against your morals, then STOP READING.  I write for ALL my readers who is interested in reading my stories, not just ONE person.  This is no longer a quick rant, so I'll leave it here for now.  Anyways, thank you for those who are still with me.  -ptd xoxo