20. New job, New boss

"You!!!!", I squawked in surprise.

Hazel eyes pierced into mine as I entered the office. The guy's lips turned upwards in a smirk and his eyes sparkled with recognition.

"Well, hello to you too, Miss. Martin.", he said smoothly.

"You- You are not Victoria.", I stated, narrowing my eyes.

"I'm afraid I'm not.", he bantered.

"Now if you don't mind, can we continue this interview?", he asked and I nodded in return.

So many event designers in the world yet I had to find this annoying, cocky Stefan Grey whom I called a manwhore and a tyrant on his face.

Sulking, I took heavy steps and slumped on the chair in front of me. He took a quick review of my CV and then placed it aside.

"So Miss. Martin, what makes you a better candidate than the last girl?", he asked, propping his elbows on the table. There was a teasing glint in his eyes.

I remembered the last girl whose clothes were so tight that at one point, I thought her top was going to tear open.

"Sir, unlike her, I have learnt in my childhood how to close the buttons of my shirt.", his eyes widened at my blunt comment which I was sure he didn't anticipate. "Um.. And I'm sure I make better coffee too."

Way to go, Hazel. That's how one ace an interview. I'm proud of you. Note the sarcasm.

"Well.." he coughed to clear his throat. "As you might know, my specialty is wedding planning. What are your thoughts about marriages? ", he asked, adorning his signature smile on his face.

The face of a certain blue-eyed man appeared in front of my eyes and I groaned internally at the unwanted feeling.

"As far as I am not the one on the aisle, I don't have any issue with weddings.", I said after thinking for few seconds.

"How much monthly salary do you want?", he asked.

Salary? Is this crazy man seriously thinking about giving this job to me?

Well, what do I want? 1000? 2000?

"A hundred dollars more than you can give. There should always be roon for bargain.", I answered honestly and he chuckled, showing me his perfect teeth.

"How about 10 thousand dollars for now and we'll decide further according to your work?"

Holy skittles. That means 120k for a year? This is a lot more than I expected. This man must be loaded.

I tried to mantain professional expressions on my face and controlled the urge to squeal in happiness.

"I'll manage Mr. Grey.", I spoke in a normal tone.

"Ok, You can join from tomorrow.", he said and a full blown smile made it's way to my face.

Mumbling a quick thank you, I rushed out of his office and let out a huff. Casting an indiscreet glance towards all the other candidates who were busy readjusting their makeups, I walked past them, doing an internal disco.

Finally, the bad days are over. I don't need to work my ass off to earn few dollars. I can buy all the things I have ever wanted. I still can't believe I got this job so easily.

Life is not as cruel as I thought. Sacrifices do pay off one day.

...

"You got the job?", Alex exclaimed loudly from the other side of the phone.

"Yup.", I said, making a popping voice.

"I'm so happy for you, sis. You have worked so hard all your life and this is your reward.", I could imagine a wide, goofy smile on his face.

"Have you told mom?", he asked and suddenly, all the excitement in my voice transpired.

Sometimes, I forget I have a mother too who is so busy in her perfect life with her perfect husband and children.

"No. And I am not planning to, either.", I spoke dryly.

"But-"

"Forget about her. Tell me about you?"

"Well, I am good. College isn't half as bad as high school. Plus, Anna is coming from Yale next week. I am busy planning a party for her.", He staged excitedly.

He asked Anna out four months after we returned. Since then, they have been in a relationship. A long distance relationship to be more specific, because Anna was accepted into Yale and Alex was selected into Bradford.

"Well, best of luck for your party. And don't get too excited, I don't want to be an aunt at this young age. Bye. ", I joked.

He snorted in return and then, cut the call.

...

This one month advance pay was added to my account on the same night so I decided to spend some on shopping.

Throughout my life, I never shopped anything out of necessity. But tonight, I am going to buy whatever I want.

I drove to the Mall after changing into some comfortable clothes.

One hour later, both of my hands were occupied with shopping bags as I walked leisurely towards my car. The bags contained two formal dresses, three casual wear, two pair of heels, one sandal and a designer handbag.

Returning to my apartment, I prepared pasta for Meredith and me and then excused myself early as I did not want to be late for my first day.

...

"Please God, I don't want to be late on my first day. Do something.", I prayed mentally but the long queue of cars didn't move a bit.

Why America? Why are you trying to sabotage my new job?

I groaned loudly once again as I hit the horn again and again. After five long, torturing minutes, the cars finally started to move and I heaved a sigh of relief.

Fifteen minutes later, I was in the elevator of Victoria. Co, anticipating my imminent doom. The elevator ride felt excessively long for some reason I couldn't comprehend.

When the elevator reached my destination, I burst towards the boss' office at a meteoric speed and shot the door open without even knocking it first.

I regretted it the very next second when my eyes encountered the scene going on in the room.

"Crap.", the curse left my mouth before I could even stop it and two pairs of eyes averted to me.

***************************

So she finally got the job? Congratulations Hazel.

Did you miss Xavier in this chapter? Because I sure did.