Chapter Thirty-Six

A/N: I just want to say thanks so much for being patient with me guys! All I want is for this to be the best story it can be, and in this case I have so many little details that I want to get right and I hope you all like where this story is going!

Be patient and I will get this bad-boy finished as soon as I can. I already know what's going to go down so be excited (or terrified, up to you!).

Anyway, enjoy this one guys! I know it's a little jumpy but it's not too bad (:

~ ~ ~

“Stiles, would you stop, please?” Lydia said as the two of them drove down to the hospital.

He was fiddling around with the radio stations, switching from one to another and then back again, all the while getting more and more frustrated. He grunted and sat back in his seat, his brow firmly furrowed.

Lydia rolled her eyes but kept them on the road. “I know you wish you could do more but you have to just deal with what you’ve got,” she said.

“I know, but it’s driving me crazy to know that all I can do is find out information about someone who is already dead. I mean maybe it will give us something more to work with but they’re all out there, facing Katherine, while we’re cooped up in your expensive car – which is actually really nice by the way – and going off to do pointless research.”

“Stiles, you of all people should know that research is never pointless,” Lydia said. “There is always something more you can learn about until you become an expert, even then there’s still probably something to get out of it.”

Stiles huffed again and folded his arms as he stared out the window. “Don’t tell me you’re not worried about them out there. As big a pain in the ass as Jackson is I know you’re worried about him.”

Lydia chewed on her bottom lip and kept her eyes trained on the path ahead. “Of course I’m worried,” she said. “About Jackson, about Allison, about Scott… Do you think I can do anything other than worry?”

“If your mind works in any way similar to mine then no,” Stiles said.

“I really hope that’s not the case,” she quipped. “The only way I can stop worrying is if I keep busy, and at least this way we’re helping.”

“We don’t know that we’re helping,” Stiles said. “They’re fighting Katherine, not this hunter person, whoever he may be. You and me going to look at a dead body doesn’t help them beat her.”

“We outnumber them, by a fair few, I think Derek and the others can handle that psycho.”

Stiles sighed, watching the lights from the houses nearby flash past. “I hope you’re right.”

* *

It was like a scene from a movie. The day had been warm but the setting sun had taken the heat with it, leaving in its place a light mist that hung in the air like an omen. They all walked through the trees to get to the meeting spot, all but Stiles and Lydia who had other places to be. A fight like this, as outnumbered as Katherine would be, was no place for two humans.

Allison stopped them before they got close to the clearing by Derek’s old house, something ticking over in her mind.

“Maybe I should keep a perimeter,” she said, hitching her quiver up over her shoulder and plucking at the string of her bow. “We know there’s someone else out here, or at least we think there could be, so someone needs to keep an eye out for any hunter traps we might come across.”