CHAPTER 20

Ruby St. Clair's POV

I felt dreadful. I couldn't shake off the uneasiness sneaking through my spine since my conversation with granddad yesterday morning. My instincts have been warning me not to go to this family dinner because it would only end as a disaster.

I exhaled a heavy breath, leaning my head on the window of Roman's sports car while gazing outside passing the tall skyscrapers glowing with lights. Maybe it's not too late to call Daniel and cancel our attendance tonight.

"For a woman who will be having dinner with her family you look like a woman who is about to face her death, Red." I heard Roman's comment from the driver's side. "Relax for heaven's sake you are too tense. What could go wrong?"

"Because you're prediction is not far from reality. "I muttered under my breath, still glancing at my window. "I have a feeling that this will not end as I hope."

"Oh, be positive, will you?" He encouraged cheerfully.  I almost believe him but I could detect the deviltry in his voice. I scowled silently. This man was poking fun at me but I was not in the mood to take the bait. After a long silence, he spoke again. "I'm just curious how you will introduce me to your family?"

I still don't know the answer. I spared him a glance. "I don't know maybe a good friend of mine?"

He snorted while his eyes were still fixed on the road. "Do you think your sisters will believe that? Besides, your grandfather extended his invitation to me it means a lot to my association with you. And let's not forget the fact that your twin already knows that we're living together do you think she never shares this information with your other sister?"

I glowered at him hotly. "Emerald will never do that!"

Or so you thought? The voice inside me had asked. Now that he had mentioned it I couldn't help but believe that there's a high chance that Emerald would sell me to our older sisters. Beneath that angelic smile and sensible persona, there's still deviltry that could be hiding with that woman. We're twins after all.

My eyes glared outside that were completely directed to the woman I thought she's on my side. If that woman betrayed me I would push her to the sea later this night.

"Then if you thought that your sister will never do such a thing you might as well try to relax. You are stressing yourself for no reasons, Red."

I eyed him sideways. "If I didn't know better I would assume that you are incredibly excited about this whole dinner thing. Aren't you scared that you're about to meet my family and assume wrongly about our association?"

He had this smile on his face that I don't trust. "Believe me I am expecting the worst upon meeting your family. I believe there will be roasting later without even a proper barbeque party outside."

I shivered at the thought. Knowing Granddad and my sisters they could be sly and ruthless when it comes to interrogating people. I knew that a certain member of their family was no exception. Suddenly, I felt the dreadful as we come near to the estate my Granddad owned. It feels like I was waiting for the ax to fall.

"We're almost there," Roman announced cheerfully as the navigator in his car stated the final meters from the mansion gate.

I exhaled a heavy breath. Every nerve in my body warned me to tell Roman to drive back to the city and forget about this dinner altogether. But before I could open my mouth he sped the car in the huge driveway of my grandfather's estate. Before I knew it we were in the front of the foyer of the imposing mansion—the same mansion where I grew up playing with Emerald with this huge driveway leading to the garden where we play hide and seek. Now I all of a sudden want to hide again.