Chapter 50

When I wake up, my body feels a little weak, then I just face the empty room and start to daze off.

I don't know if anyone else has played this game before when they were young: having one's eyes covered from behind, and then hear the person behind them discreetly or feign mysteriousness as they ask: "Guess, who am I?"

Alright, I'll be honest, in fact I played it before, be it in that slowly forgotten past, or in the desolate palace hall, I've played it before. Of course, I was the person that had their eyes covered. Back then, Imperial Sister and Su Qi were persistent and insistent on playing such a nonsensical game, always having to hear the answer they want from my dull and placid voice, before they're willing to give up. In fact, I am extremely confused, I don't understand what fun they get from playing this --- they are indeed children with healthy bodies and minds, and I, clearly belong to the abnormal.

Perhaps, Yuwen Rui doesn't belong to the normal sort, other than pretending to be the elegant and noble Eldest Gentleman Yuwen, and occasionally playing tricks on I - this pitiful little cousin, he seems to not have any other hobbies or interests. This makes me doubt: is this reserved and black-bellied, elegantly handsome man, also of the time-travelling race, then after some time of observing, I am disappointed to find out, he is only an early-matured handsome little gentleman, nothing more than that.

Humans are a mysterious being, each and every one of them are their own person, and there are billions of different personalities, but share something in common when it comes to habits, everyone have their own secret base, like Imperial Sister's most favourite corner of the garden, like Su Qi's most sentimental pavilion at the mountaintop, like the glittering lake He Lian Chen took me to, also like that desolate little hill Yuwen Rui likes.

Yes, you haven't heard wrong, the place Yuwen Rui likes the most is an extremely cold and desolate little hill. There, there is no captivating scenery, no fragrant flower scent, no slim ladies, not even any signs of living creatures.

It is unusually desolate there, yet he has a soft spot for it.

Since it's his secret base, I certainly only go there a small number of times, counting it up, I only go there with him once a year, and that day will certainly be the day of his birthday. On the night of Yuwen Rui's birthday, I would certainly spend the night at the General Estate, he would always take advantage of the time of dark night and strong winds to take me into sneaking out of the estate, then hold me in the night wind whilst looking at the stars, without saying any unnecessary words.

There was one time it wasn't his birthday, but he still brought me to that place, that day, was the day his mother was buried, his clear and elegant, handsome face was pale the entire day, thin lips hooked up into a light smile, yet concealed in his eyes, were unlimited sorrows and deep emotions.

I knew of his unhappiness, yet I couldn't do anything, look at this, how incapable I seem, clearly know of someone's grievances yet unable to do anything, only because I am not him, hence unable to empathise.

That night, Yuwen Rui's hands were even more ice-cold than usual, he holds me tightly in his arms, as though wanting to embed me into his body, whilst his face was coated in indifference.

I am still quietly looking at him from the side, not saying a word, nor prepared to cut off his thoughts. All of a sudden, in a trance, I see him slightly hook up his thin lips, slanted eyes containing a smile, charming like a spring scenery under the silver moonlight. I feel his bony fingers slowly cover my eyes, what followed, was him lightly leaning into my ear, asking: "Ah-Lan, who am I?"

He asked: who am I?

Clearly containing a smile in his eyes, clearly a light tone, clearly an unbelievably familiar line of joyfulness, but why do I only feel my heart go blank.