The Spell

3rd person P.O.V
It's 8th year and Harry and his friends had returned to Hogwarts to complete their N.E.W.T.S only it was quite harder than they thought. At times Harry thought to himself 'why do I bother' but he always remembered in the end. He'd only wanted to do his N.E.W.T.S so people hired him for his skills rather than his fame.

"Come on, we're going to be late AGAIN!" Hermione shouted, visibly annoyed. Ron and Harry had overslept and we're running late for their first class: Defence Against The Dark Arts.

Harry and Ron had already missed breakfast and Hermione kept telling them they needed to take classes seriously now. 10 minutes and a quick lecture from Hermione later, the trio we're running down the corridors to get to their classroom.

There was a new defence teacher again, his name was Professor Crossley and unlike the majority of the previous teachers he actually taught some useful things, time would tell if this teacher would be able to keep his job for over a year. After all it'd been a long time since the position was kept by someone for at least two years. The class was in the middle of writing an essay it seemed as Ron, Harry and Hermione burst through the double doors panting.

Professor Crossley simply paused his explanation to tell the trio to ensure they aren't late again, unless they want to stay in detention. The class snickered but soon carried on working. Like Lupin, Crossley could control the class with ease while keeping the mood light.

"Right finish the essay for homework, we need to do this practical so you can write about the effects. I expect no less than 6 inches of parchment" Crossley concluded.

"Jokes on him, Hermione'sprobably going to do 12 inches." Ron whispered, careful so Hermione wouldn't hear.

The class got up to begin the practical and Crossley started to go through the instructions.

"Any volunteers to try it out?" Asked Crossley. He looked over to Harry's table where Ron was laughing at something. Presumably the fact that Harry's robes were inside out. It wasn't the first time and presumably wasn't the last.

"Ah, Weasley. Fancy giving it a go?"

"Giving what a go?" Ron asked, making the class giggle again. Crossley motioned for Ron to come to the front and Ron had to choice but to agree. Unless he wanted a detention of course.

"So first aim, say the incantation and it should work" Crossley said to Ron.

"Oh I almost forgot," Crossley added "Can every student get a textbook from the back cupboard."

Naturally everyone ran to get the newest books. Harry simply grumbled and waited before most people had a book before making his way to the cupboard. He rolled his eyes when he saw Malfoy examining the last two.

"Malfoy pass me a book." Harry demanded.

"After I see which one is in a better condition." Draco argued.

Harry and Draco weren't enemies as such anymore but that didn't mean they had to get on with each other. They usually ignored each other, unable to think of what to say. Harry had testified at Draco's trial but still couldn't find any of his Gryffindor courage to ask him to be friends. A certain event from 1st year usually held him back.

Harry grabbed a book from Draco's hands but Draco protested. There they were still fighting over the books when they heard Ron shouting the incantation. Wrong.

They both turned and saw a flash of blue light before their heads started to spin and everything went black. They could hear voices shouting their names but slowly the voices and noise faded, leaving nothing but silence and darkness.

"Wealsey what in the wizarding world did you do?" Crossley said, running over to Draco and Harry in a mild panic.

The pair were unconscious so Crossley dismissed the class and only allowed Ron, Hermione, Pansy and Blaise to stay. They all went to the hospital wing where Pansy kept giving Ron dirty looks. Hermione went over to Harry's bed and noticed something quite strange.

"Oh Merlin, Ron what've you done this time?" Hermione muttered in disbelief. A look of sheer horror displayed on her face.

"What's wro- oh bloody hell" Ron said as he realised. They shouted for Madam Pomfrey and shortly after they called, they heard Pansy shouting too.

"Out, out!" Madam Pomfrey shouted after looking at both the boys and realising the seriousness of the situation.

"But what abo-" Hermione protested. But Madam Pomfrey was not to be argued with.

"I'll alert you if they wake up, now OUT!" She shouted for the final time.

The students complied and walked out as Madam Pomfrey asked one of them to tell Headmistress McGonagall to come quickly to the hospital wing.

Hermione ran up to the Headmistress' office and told her that Madam Pomfrey asked her to come to the hospital wing as soon as possible. McGonagall rushed down only to find something she'd never seen before. She turned her attention from Harry and Draco to Madam Pomfrey for a few seconds.

"Is there any cure you know of?" McGonagall asked.

"Not at the moment but I'm sure I'll find one. But what should we do in the meantime?" Pomfrey asked.

"I'll have a chat with the boys about that. Send them to my office as soon as you can." McGonagall said, turning and walking back where she came from. She was in for a long day.

While Harry Potter was at Hogwarts, the most unlikely thing would be to have a quiet school year. It wouldn't be Hogwarts unless something went wrong. But what Harry and Draco didn't know was that maybe things could take a turn for the better. Some disasters are simply a blessing in disguise.

Thanks for reading, hoped you enjoy this story :)