27: Always Matching

Soul merging, the thought made Sen Jia shiver with dread. 

He'd seen a few survive it but most lost all semblance of sanity and suffered until the soul shattered. Memory confusion wasn't a nice thing to experience either but it could be managed. He'd treated it a lot during the war.

It was a brutal tactic of the system race back then, a way to slow down the rebels. He hadn't been infested with a system until after the hive mind crash. So he had never experienced it himself. 

It was pretty late in the war when he went deep into the cluster with his team of soldiers and researchers. The failure of his mission then became the start of his own nightmare.

Sen Jia forcefully pushed down the useless reminiscing and set about cleaning Sen Shuai's body.

{Seventh, can you control what he dreams?}

Sen Jia gently stroked this young Song Min's face that was on the verge of maturity. He pinched the cheeks that still had some extra fat. He pulled off the thin quilt, tossing it to the floor.

[That should be possible.]

"Tch, how is he so built?" Sen Jia opens Song Min's shirt.  He shamelessly groped all over his chest.

A year younger than the body I snatched but he's still so much bigger than me. Such a broad well muscled chest already. He's got some ways to go to catch up to his godlike chisled bod from the last world but he's getting there.

Sen Jia's eyes narrowed mischievously as he removed the dirty clothes from Song Min's body. 

OOOh, he's just as big in that area still. Lucky me. 

Sen Jia hummed happily as he worked to wipe Song Min's body very thoroughly.

{Make sure he always dreams about his soul memories, Seventh. If possible none of the worst ones.}

It would be much faster if Sen Shuai's new system could cooperate. But it was currently unresponsive. 

By reminding Sen Shuai in little ways of their time together he would slowly help him sort out the two lifetime's memories. Once Shuai's system rebooted, they could reason with it to fix any remaining confusion.  

As Sen Jia gently wiped Sen Shuai's face clean, he noticed a white, loop-shaped mark at the top of one ear. Sen Jia's heart was struck by this mark their love had left on Shuai's soul.

Sometimes, when hosts are so deeply affected by something in a world it remains a part of them from then on. It would always manifest on the body somehow in whatever world the soul traveled to. 

To think, our matching jade loops represented so much to you little Shuai.  

He was so deeply moved his own ear felt a tingling sensation. He rushed over to check it in the small mirror on the wall. The white line that was appearing on his ear filled his heart with warmth. 

It seems from now on we will always be matching, little Shuai. 

~~~

After Sen Jia had cleaned Sen Shuai's body and replaced his clothes and bedding, he started sorting out the room. He opened the door and window wide to air out the room and directly threw out the tattered old bedding. He scrubbed clean every surface, nook and cranny.

From his space, he brought out a chair for himself and a thick rug to cover the chilly floor.

Sen Jia also spent this time reviewing the broader information about this world. When he arrived he only focused on Song Min and the people directly related to him.

This world exists as two overlapping realms inhabited by two separate races. The humans and the Spirit race. The border between is very thin in places making it easy to pass through by either race by accident or on purpose. 

There are spirit beasts and creatures in the other realm that sometimes cross over and cause problems. Similar to how a bear might wander into the city and needs to be removed by specialists, spirit beasts pop up in human settlements and must be removed by people from the clans.

The two races are at peace on the surface but there are always extremists from both races that cause trouble. For this reason, the human's maintain a strict, militaristic society.   

The Spirit race exude a spiritual energy that is harmful to most humans, shortening their lifespans immensely. Only those with strong souls and special training can interact freely with the Spirit race without this concern. 

Over time it was discovered that humans who interacted with the Spirit race regularly, had been slowly absorbing the spiritual energy and passing it on to their descendants. This resulted in these families gaining more and more strength with each generation. 

These families later became the powerful clans that act as the leading military force in the human realm now. Regular humans can also be born with strong enough souls to train and enter the military or work as high paid servants to one of the clan families.   

There is, however, a problem in these families. Children are occasionally born with so much spiritual energy, they are nearly indistinguishable from the Spirit race and become a danger to other humans. With training, these children become the most powerful soldiers. They have short lives because of the spiritual energy and cannot produce offspring. 

They are used as weapons that burn brightly, turn to dust and are forgotten.

Song Min was born with this excess of spiritual energy which killed his mother during birth. His Grandfather, the head of the Song Clan, sealed some of his power temporarily and later sent him to undergo harsh training in the countryside.  

Song Min's servants at the country estate were all commoners with greater than normal resistance to spiritual energy. By accepting this position within the Song Clan, they hoped to absorb enough of the energy from Song Min to strengthen their own descendants and have a better future for their families.  

A/N World building basically done! Tofu eating Sen Jia strikes again while little Shuai sleeps. Jade loops make an appearance and even some more bits of Sen Jia's past. What a busy chapter. \ (•◡•) / 

Next chap; little Shuai wakes up!