Chapter 13: Golden Balloons

I grabbed my phone from the bedside table. The light hurting my eyes, I was already in this peaceful sleepy mood. I dialed Ace's number and waited for him to pick it up. It was the only solution that came to my mind.

"Already missing me?" I fucking knew he would say something like that. I was betting on 'can't get enough of me?' though.

"I need a ride tomorrow to go to class." I announced like he didn't have much of an option.

"What about your car?" I stayed quiet for a moment waiting for him to realize it by himself. "Oh, shit."

"Yeah."

"And what about your friend Sarah?"

"She is at Nick's."

"And your other friend? The loud guy, what was his name?" He said quickly.

"Nathan. He is at his grandma's." I stayed quiet thinking for a moment. "Is that big of a deal having to give me a ride?" I said frowning.

He chuckled. "I'm not a morning person, I don't like to deal with people so early."

"Me neither. We don't have to talk, you just pick me up at 8.30 and you take me to my car." I was beginning to feel a little irritated.

He sighed as if it was the most annoying task someone had ever asked him to do. "Oookaaay." 

"You know, it was not even my fault I left my car there, it was actually yours, so don't be such an asshole."

"I'm just teasing you, don't get mad." I could feel his humourous tone. "I'll be pleased to pick you up."

"Okay, thanks. Goodnight." I said dryly.

"Goodnight, grumpy."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't go to the gym the next morning. I highly doubted Ace would have wanted to pick me up at 6.30 am and get me there. I had breakfast and took a shower. It was raining and the weather lady said that it would rain for the rest of the week. So I ditched my beloved shorts and put on some black jeans, a big grey sweater and black boots. Back in Spain, I was pretty sure it would be sunny already. I really missed that weather. I went down and waited for Ace in the hall. 8.32.

I saw his car appear before he pulled over. I felt a sudden rush of nervousness. I ran towards the car since I didn't have an umbrella and he opened the car from the inside for me to get in.

"Hi." I mumbled closing the door quickly.

"Good morning." He greeted happily and started the engine. He inhaled deeply. "God, you always smell so good."

"Yeah, I shower." I joked.

He looked at me and rolled his eyes. He glanced back at the road. "Why in the mornings though? I'm too lazy for that."

"Because I usually go to the gym early in the morning." I said glancing out the window.

"That's why you're so fit." He said half smiling. I didn't know if he was for real or if he was joking. "Did you go today?" He raised an eyebrow without meeting my eyes.

I shook my head. "It's too far to walk there."

"You could have called me, you know." He stopped at a red light and stared at me.

"Don't worry." I said shaking my head and turning around to face him. "When I say early is way too early. Besides, I wasn't feeling like it, it was 3 am when I went to bed last night."

"Sorry." He chuckled. I studied his face. The bruise under the eye was worst than yesterday, but his lips and nose were not longer swollen. He began humming to a song and tapping his fingers on the steering wheel until the light turned green.