The Shift

Hello Reese!

_____________________

"𝙸𝚝'𝚜 𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎 𝚑𝚘𝚠 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚜𝚝 𝚍𝚊𝚢 𝚘𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚕𝚒𝚏𝚎 𝚘𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚗 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚜 𝚓𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚢 𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛."

Anna looked to the empty seat at the front of Mr. Harpers classroom, her eyes fixated on it as if something or someone would magically appear on the hard plastic. 

The room was silent, due to a pop quiz that had been sprung on the class. It was a routine morning, almost too predictable. And although nothing but the slight tap of a pencil filled the space, Anna could feel her ears buzzing with the words Claire and Layla had spoken last night and the look of devastation on Molly's face.

Anna wanted to offer her a ride home to save her from further embarrassment. Or perhaps to get to know her more. Maybe ask about her home life, as it seemed not much was known about it, that or people just chose to remain silent of her past.

There was a piece missing. A reason as to why Clare aimed all of her hatred towards her, more than anyone else. Anna didn't have the chance to find out last night, but she planned to this morning in school, if she could get Molly alone.

But Molly, didn't show up for school as her seat, that Anna had been so focused on, remained empty for the rest of the period. 

Her absence was a sick reminder of the night before and the embarrassment she was exposed to. Anna couldn't help but wonder what she was doing, how she was feeling or what she was thinking. 

Claire was proud of the fact that Molly didn't show her face, calling it cowardice and pathetic, but a win in her books. 

Little did Claire know, as Anna sat next to her in lunch that day, letting her sadistic talk fade into the background, she was debating on checking in on Molly. She had it planned out in her head that she would go to her house and ask for the opportunity to see that she was okay.  

However, Anna didn't know where Molly lived and even if she did, the chances of her actually wanting to speak to Anna were slim. And surely, she would be crucified if Claire ever found out she was mingling with the enemy. 

"Anna, are you even listening?" Claire asked harshly as she set her fork down. 

Anna's eyes shot to Claire, looking innocent as she popped a chip into her mouth, "Yeah sorry, I didn't sleep very well last night."

Claire waited, her eyes squinting as she tilted her head, "Did something happen with you and Nolan?" Her tone less harsh and more concerned as she leaned into the table, "You can tell me if it did, I promise I'll only hurt him a little," she cracked a smile.

Shaking her head, Anna perked up, "I'm fine, just tired,"

Claire narrowed her brows, still looking as if she were concerned, "Okay. Well try to get some sleep tonight, but right now I need you to listen to what I'm saying," she urged, turning to Paige and Layla. 

Nodding in compliance, Anna pushed the thoughts of Molly out of her mind to appease Claire and whatever agenda she had planned for the moment. 

"I was able to sneak Molly's student file from Principle Ashbee's office, what do you say we pay her a visit tonight and really fuck her shit up," Claire's troubled look passed as it was replaced with a satisfied smile.

Layla bit her lip with a wicked grin, it was always easy for her to fall in line with Claire's ideas, "I think that sounds like a fantastic idea."

"Don't you think we're taking this a little too far?" Anna blurted, holding her breath as she looked around the table. She knew it was the wrong question to ask, for Claire has made it apparent that she knew no limit.