Chapter 6: Trivia Night

       "Just think of this," Vikram said. "Seven free servings of nachos at any time from the 50's diner. And not just seven servings for us to share. Seven servings each. Tell me that does not interest any of you."

       "And to get the nachos, we have to enter the trivia night?" Grant asked. "Not only enter, but win? Yeah, being a nerd after school hours isn't worth free nachos."

       "Not just free nachos," Vikram said. "Seven servings each. How could anyone pass up free nachos? Free anything? The trivia night is only allowing teams of four so we really should enter. Just think, with my and Hennessy's intelligence and your and Ollie's ability to make the team four members, there's no way we could lose."

       "Oh, well, when you put it that way..." Grant said. "No."

       "Yeah, I don't even know if my dad will let me leave the house," I said. After both returning home yesterday, Dad didn't say a single word to me about skipping school. I thought he would have but he never did so I was a bit confused.

       No doubt he would still refuse to let me leave the house.

       "Really?" Hennessy asked with a slight tone of disappointment and I just shrugged in reply. "Well, it's fine. I'm sure Vikram and I can find two people to fill out team. People that will definitely be a bigger asset than Grant."

       "I'm sorry, what did you say?" Grant asked.

       "I said Vikram and I will find people that will actually help our team," Hennessy said. "We'll have an even bigger chance of winning if we find other people."

       "Okay, do you want me to join the team or make my own team?" Grant asked. "Because if you keep trashing me, I really will make my own team with the best of the best."

       "So are you going to join the team?" Hennessy asked.

       Grant huffed. "Fine, I will. But if we do win, you owe me one of you nacho servings."

       "Fine," Hennessy said before looking at me. "Are you sure you can't come? Our team wouldn't be complete without you."

       "I can try asking my dad but I wouldn't be surprised if he says no,"  I said.

       "Well, try finding out as soon as you can so if it is a no, we'll be able to find someone," Vikram said. "Worse case scenario, we get my sister. But that's literally worse case scenario since she's stupid and will probably get everything wrong."

       School had already ended and we were all standing outside because Vikram texted all of us to meet up so after telling them I'd find out as soon as I could, I left the school grounds to head home. I still had time before Dad showed up so I just laid down on the couch, watching TV as I waited for him.

       I didn't even get my hopes up of going, even though I actually wanted to. I hadn't really spent time out of my house and now, I had the opportunity to. For once. I didn't want to lose it.

       Coming to Spruceworth, I had been so wary about making new friends because I didn't think I could ever trust someone again. I didn't think I could ever be around a group of people and actually feel comfortable. 

       I guess I had Dad to thank for putting the four of us in a group in the first place.

       As soon as Dad walked in the door, he said, "You look a bit grumpy."

       "Not really grumpy," I said. "Just... Am I allowed to go out tonight? There's a trivia night at the 50's diner and anyone who enters need to be in a group of four so Vikram wants to do it with me, Hennessy, and Grant. Can I go?"