Chapter 71

April's POV

"Hey," I shook her lightly by the shoulder, "wake up." She murmured slightly, her curls falling onto her face. She looked so much younger when she was asleep – well, unconscious.

"Mum, come on." Splashing some water on her face, her eyelids shimmered with movement before opening slowly.

Her eyes searched until she found a familiar face – mine. She visibly relaxed before another cautious glance at her surroundings made her sit upright. "April."

At the time, I was half shaken with worry and guilt and half rolling my eyes at the irony of there being a room full of super-fast, super-agile werewolves and not one of them catching her in time.

"You hit your head pretty bad. You'll probably be disorientated for a while. Take it easy, okay?" I cautioned, propping my elbow behind her back so she wouldn't fall back.

"We-" her lip trembled, "werewolves? You said werewolves."

I shook my head at her, exasperated. "Woman, you open your eyes and the first thing that comes out of your mouth is picking up on something I said before." I smiled, "do I not get a hello?"

"April, I need to –" she was cut off by an arrival in the doorway.

I lifted slightly from my crouch besides her; she had been lain down on the sofa bed by Kaden. Aiden stepped inside the room, tray balanced on one hand.

Once she had fainted, there was an instant flurry of movement; Antonio questioning why my mum had walked into a werewolf meeting, Daniel squealing for some reason, a tangle of arms fighting to pull the unconscious human woman up and me, standing there for a few moments in disbelief.

I fainted, she fainted – both at very different things. He smiled at my mother guardedly, though he still managed to appear as charming as ever and put the tray down, crouching on the other side of her.

"Mrs Evans, how's your head?" His eyes examined her worriedly, hand skimming over the back of her hair for any signs of a bump. I watched him carefully, noting the way the muscle in his cheek tightened when he pursed his lips or the way his hair curled slightly at the temples.

She flinched ever so slightly. He withdrew, sighing. "There's toast and coffee on the plate. One sugar, a dash of milk." He recalled, probably from the amount of coffee they drank at the hospital together. "Call me if you need anything else?"

"We will." I replied for the both of us.

I turned to my mother, taking a deep, rattling breath in order to explain myself as soon as Aiden had left, too quickly for my liking. He could have been a mad man and I still would have loved him, I though guiltily.

She cut me off, sitting up. "You said they're werewolves. All of them. Didn't you?"

"And you fainted." I pointed out calmly. "Meaning you believed me – did you faint from shock? Disbelief? Fear? If I said 'vampires' would you have passed out there and then as well?"

"I don't know, April. I want to believe you because in that one moment, my mind went through every single sign and possibility I could think of. I want to believe you because on my way here, I thought I saw wolves in the surrounding forest area. I was so confused. America doesn't have this many wolves in this area, right? Well, I was obviously wrong. America does have a lot of wolves in this area. And the scary thing about it? They all looked so humane; their behaviour, stopping and staring at the car, looking as if they were, I don't know... communicating – they didn't look wild."

"You drove here? How did you know exactly where here was though?"

She looked down sheepishly, her cheeks flushing. "Don't get angry at me for this, but I followed you and Nina." I inhaled sharply, "but only because I was on my way to your apartment to talk to you. When I saw you and Nina leaving – looking dodgy as hell –" she shot me a sharp look. "I decided to follow you. I didn't plan on doing it!"