Chapter 11

APRIL,
BENTON WAY, THE LANE RESIDENCE
b r o o k l y n l e s l i e c o o p e r
❦❧❦

My heart was pounding in my chest. I couldn't believe the words before my eyes. It was like a dream come true for me, and I just knew I'd cherish it for as long as I could.

Dear Miss Brooklyn Cooper,

The head managers and crafty staff of RIOT! Arts and Craft Centre are pleased to inform you of your acceptance to the family!

The email was long and detailed, but I read all of it without hesitation. In fact, I read it three times before I let out a loud, unannounced squeal.

Morgan came running from her joint bathroom with her toothbrush in her hand and toothpaste on the corners of her mouth. "What happened? Are you okay?" She spoke with a mouthful of toothpaste.

I stood from where I sat on her bed and rushed over to her with my laptop, pointing the screen towards her so that she could read. When her eyes skimmed down the page, a wide grin spread across her white-stained face. "Holy cow, B! That's amazing, I'm so happy for you!"

"Thanks girl," I grinned before falling back onto her bed and motioning towards her. "You may proceed in brushing your teeth, I'm going to call my mum."

Like always, my mother picked up on the second ring. "Brooklyn dear, is everything alright?"

There would be no complaining of how paranoid my mother was tonight, I was ecstatic. "Everything is great mum, I just received an email from Riot."

"And you got the job?" She sounded hopeful.

"Yes!" I said as I giddily jumped up and down where I sat on Morgan's queen sized bed. "When I come home tomorrow we'll sort everything out, alright?"

I could almost see my mother smiling widely and nodding as she spoke. "Wonderful! I'm going to call Joy Hood right after this to tell her of this splendid news! I'm sure Mali will be more-than pleased to have you as a work buddy."

I did remember Mali telling me all about the art studio. Her words made me fall more in love with it, and gave me the extra push I needed to get the guts to apply for a job there. And now I've got it. This calls for celebration. "Alright mum, I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight!"

"Sweet dreams, I love you!"

"Bye," I smiled before ending the call and falling back on Morgan's bed, my mood heightened. My blonde friend returned, all fresh and ready to dive in to her bed. And I sat up to send her a goofy grin. "How can we celebrate without getting in trouble?"

A smirk fell upon her features. "Movies and junk food."

And that's how our night went about. The two of us wrapped up in Morgan's bed, snacking on the variety of food we collected from downstairs as we watched the best movies on Netflix we could find on my laptop.

In the late hours of the night, while we watched The Kissing Booth, my mind drifted off like it usually did, and I thought of how grateful I was of Morgan, and how much I appreciated her. We'd been friends for so many years, and we'd only grown closer during that time. Our friendship has overcome many obstacles; like fallouts, fights, boys, parents. Yeah, parents. There was a time when my mother wasn't fond of Morgan, strictly because she believed her parents let her "get away with too much". But after time, my mother grew to accept that not everyone can be perfect, and she was pleased that I had such a great friend.

That made me wonder if she'd warm up to Calum at all. I remembered the first time we all met, when we had dinner at my house. My mother was so sweet to Calum, because he was sweet to the three of us. But then she saw him dropping me off on his motorbike and suddenly she hated his guts. I didn't get it. I didn't get her. But she was my mother, so I had to deal with it one way or another.