fifteen: i won't let you down and run

Niall is the centre of attention at the office today.

The article he wrote for the special issue has just been published both for online readers and physical readers early this morning. It's usually released a week before Christmas but this year it's released three weeks before.

Brooklyn likes to think that she's the first one to read it on their company's website unless he has a much bigger fan than she is, then she isn't the first one. She refuses to entertain that possibility as she watches Niall step out of the lift, his face lighting up when everyone surges forward to congratulate him. Some shake his hand, some pull him in for a hug and pat him on the back.

All the while, Brooklyn can feel his eyes on her. Instead of making her way to him, she waits by her desk. She's congratulated him earlier this morning via text messages as soon as she finished reading his featured article so she's going to let other people commend him for his remarkable piece. She might be a tad biased but she thinks his article is the best amongst the rest.

Brooklyn has always known that Niall's a great writer but after reading what he wrote? She's pretty sure that just took him to another level. One step higher than her. Back then it would bother her, but now not anymore. They're not in competitions anymore. Not since the day she lost the bet or maybe not ever.

"Hey stranger," Niall whispers in her ear as they embrace each other.

"Hey hotshot," Brooklyn whispers back and that earns her a hearty chuckle. A smile touches her lips. "How does it feel like to be adored by everyone?" She asks once they've pulled away from the hug.

"You can't even imagine my suffering," he says with a serious face. Brooklyn rolls her eyes at him, though the corners of her mouth are twitching, laughter threatening to escape her throat. Dropping his voice a little, he adds, "But you know I only care about this one person's opinion."

"Is that so?" Brooklyn kinks an eyebrow at him.

"Mhmm," he nods as he leans against the side of his desk. He tilts his head. "We've known each other for years and I think she's only complimented me like-" he pauses to count with his fingers, stops when he reaches his middle finger. "Three times. I'm trying to round the number up to five, but it's hard. She's a tough person to please."

Brooklyn tilts her head as well to match Niall's posture and expression. His eyes light up with amusement. "Sounds to me like she's just trying to keep you grounded. Can't risk inflating your ego and your head."

"Huh."

"Also I'm pretty sure she texted earlier to sing her praises to you," Brooklyn continues. "And she woke up really early so she could be the first reader."

Niall's lips stretch into a huge smile, clearly pleased by that piece of information. "'m afraid she's not the first reader. I was."

"That's a pretty conceited move," Brooklyn comments – she doesn't mean it, though, and Niall knows that.

"I'd say I was proofreading it." Now he's speaking her language. Or he's making fun of her – she has no way of telling – and even if he is, she doesn't mind. "Had to make sure that all of the spellings and punctuations are right 'cause y'know, I was trying to impress thatperson. She's very particular when it comes to those things. Very, very particular. Once she was angry with me because I submitted an article that was only proofread twice."

Brooklyn can't fight the smile anymore. She lets it take over her face and in her mind, she imagines herself holding up the white flag. He wins. "Well, if that's the case... I can say on her behalf that she's impressed."

"That's amazing news," Niall beams. He looks like he wants to kiss her because for a split second, his body gravitates towards her but upon realising that they're not by themselves, he clears his throat and pushes his hands to the front pockets of his jeans, restraining himself from pulling her to him. "Thank you, Bee. You've no idea how happy I am to hear that."