Chapter 57

Every year, on the seventh day of the seventh month on the Lunar Calendar, it is the Qi Qiao Festival, also called the Seventh-Seventh Festival.

Amongst the commoners, the legend behind the Qi Qiao Festival tells of the unfaltering and sorrowful love between Cowherd and Weaver Girl. On this night, the magpies will elatedly form a bridge for them to meet, the affection between Cowherd and Weaver Girl going on for eternity. And in the mortal realm, the people will all gather together for a grandly bustling scene, men hoping to find a woman of their liking, whilst women pray for Weaver Girl to give them wisdom and craftsmanship, in order to attract the fated person they can entrust the rest of their life to. (Read here for full story of the legend: )

All in all, this is an extremely romantic day.

But this thing called romantic, since when did it ever match up with Yuwen Rui?

I have been pondering over this question whilst dressing up, of course, to no results. And so, I can only leave him to make me become a not bad looking young woman, pulling my hand along as we leisurely walk towards the bustling streets.

The night skies have already darkened, but everything seems to have only just begun.

The streams of people on the street endlessly flows on, young and old, male and female, coming back and forth. Yuwen Rui just holds my hand like this, following the flow of a huge army of people which leads into the busiest area, and allow the festive atmosphere to overwhelm us.

I turn my head to look at him, long and blue brocade robes, plus a white jade hairpin, paired with his fair and clear face, sure makes it hard for one to look away. I lower my head to take a look at myself, an oriole-yellow dress and a simple hairstyle for young women, compared to him, I truly am missing that refined quality. I look at him again, a tall and slender body, upright like bamboo, entire body giving off a type of elegant air. I once again glance at myself, stunning beauty and demeanour holds not the slightest relation with me.

I secretly pout, we're all human, how could the difference be so big?

"Candied gourd, candied gourd, big and sweet candied gourd! This little sister, come, I'll give you the biggest skewer of it!"

"May all the ladies come and take a look, check it out, top quality rouge and perfume! All are the newest arrivals from the Capital's fragrant house! Favourites of the noble ladies!"

"Scented pouches with top quality embroidery! Ten coins for one! Cheap and pretty!"

"Solve riddles, solve riddles, prizes for those that solve a riddle! May all talented men and pretty ladies come and take a look! A top quality white-jade bangle for whoever solves the riddle!"

I'm a little surprised, didn't think that it would be so lively out here, the pedestrians all have faces filled with sincere smiles, unlike the pretentious and flattering ones of the people in the palace. Within such an atmosphere, I too, cannot help but smile, I sweep a glance at Yuwen Rui from the corner of my eye, seeing that although his face appears cold and indifferent, there is a rare hint of smile in his eyes.

The people on the streets increases, everyone starting to crowd together. Yuwen Rui wraps an arm around my waist in protection, lowering down to my ear side as he says: "What do you want to go and see?"

The warm breath on my ear makes me feel a little ticklish, I move my head back a bit, pointing to a rouge stall at the side of the road, saying: "Let's take a look at the rouge."

Yuwen Rui lightly looks at me, then leads me over to that side, just that before we even reached the rouge stall, a young woman in pink crashes into his chest, and a burst of faint fragrance instantly spreads into the air. That young woman frantically raises her head and takes a step back, upon seeing Yuwen Rui's face, she immediately reddens, soft voice sheepishly saying: "Gentleman, truly sorry, I, I didn't mean to bump into you......"