One

For over a century, I have been living in secret. Hiding, lurking in the shadows, surviving. I want to live a normal life. Which is impossible for me because of the constant weight I have on my back. Damon. I had to flee. With his humanity turned off, who knows what he's capable of. He promised to make my life a living hell, along with my twin, Stefan. So, living a human life isn't really an option. Not like it matters, I'm not even human.

I'm Bela Salvatore. And I'm a vampire.

》》》》

September 1984

Stefan and I parted in Utah. Damon has gone over the rails, making us split up. He could track one sibling down and his anger is directed mostly towards Stefan. He promised him an eternity of misery, being a vampire...that's a long time. Stefan had to apologize for 'dragging me down with him.' But splitting up was the best choice. Damon without his humanity isn't good.

I pulled up at the school. If I have to start fresh, then I need to go to school. I could feel eyes on me as I got out of my car.

"Who is that?" I could hear a few guys from across the field. I pretended not to hear as I made my way inside.

"I don't know, but she's got a nice ass."

"Can't wait to hit that."

I rolled my eyes as I walked through the hallways. Hawkins High School. Maybe this could be my next home...for the time being. I strolled my way into the office. I've been through this a lot. It's always the same. I walk up to the front desk and sign myself in. They say I'm missing a few papers, but I compel them into giving me my schedule. Which I was right when the lady at the front desk was looking through my empty file.

"You're missing immunization records," she started before looking up at me, "and we do insist on transcripts."

I gave her a small smile as my pupils dilate. "Please, look again. I'm sure everything you need is there." The front desk lady looked into my eyes as I compelled her. She blinked before she barley glanced at my file.

"You're right. It is." She began typing on her computer before printing out my schedule. She smiled at me as she handed the piece of paper over. "I hope you have everything you need, Miss Salvatore."

I grabbed the paper from her hands. "I believe I do."

Then I turned around and walked out of the office. I need to find my locker. I ignored the lusting eyes of the guys as I walked down the hallway. I could already hear the gossip. New kid on the first day. Well, since I'm a new kid, I need to make a friend. I looked around the hallway until I spotted a guy with a camera and made my way towards him.

I looked down at my paper, in fake confusion, before bumping into the person. I groaned as I knelt down and started grabbing my papers that fell out.

"I'm so sorry," the voice said as he began helping me.

I shook my head. "No, it's not your fault. I should have watched where I was going." I grabbed my papers from the kid before standing up. "Thanks."

He gave me a confused look. "You're the new kid, right?"

I gave a 'nervous' chuckle. "I guess the rumors already spread."

"No. I just haven't seen you around here before. A small town like this, everyone knows everyone."

"I don't know if that's good or bad." I looked at my schedule.

The guy pointed at the paper. "Mind if I look." I nodded as I handed it to him. He seemed a bit nervous. A bit shy. "Oh, we have first period together. I could show you where the class is."

"That would be great. Thank you." The guy nodded as we walked down the hall together. "I'm Bela, by the way."

"Jonathan."

》》》》

A/N: All of this is set one month before Billy shows up.

*Not edited.*